Suse 8.0 Dual display on Quadro 4 700XGL
I installed a fresh version of Suse 8.0 off a network install point onto a brand new Dell Precision 340. I then performed an online update to download the latest nvidia drivers and proceded to set up twin view. Everything worked as expected, except text is only displayed on about 3/4 of the screen on the right. It doesn't matter if the display is coming off the digital output or the analog output, whichever display is set to be on the right has no text displayed on the right hand side of the display. Graphics are displayed just fine, just no text from menus or on the desktop in KDE3.
Any ideas? The system's specs
P4 2.0 GHz
2 SCSI Ultra 160 18 GB HDs on an adaptec 3160 SCSI controler (Linux is on the second hard drive since this is a dual boot machine)
512 MB RDRAM
everything else is standard for the Dell Precision 340
The video card works fine in Windows XP, and the card works fine playing 3D games in Linux like Chromium (haven't installed Q3 or Unreal Tournament yet)
The config is what YAST provided at 1280x1024 (max res of the 17" 2 Dell flat panels attached to the machine.
Here are the lines I added to enable the dual display:
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31-64"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-60"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024;"
# Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
The last line is uncommented if I swap the outputs.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Screenshots of the problem
I took some screenshots of the problem.
Sorry, these screen shots are at actual resolution, so they are about 230K jpegs
In the right hand side you can see that the CD-R icon is cut off.
I also opened up KDE's calendar app in which it cut off part of the text for the calendar and I also moved the icons above a little farther righ and now CD-R is completly gone and Floppy and Trash have pieces missing.
This screenshot shows what the calendar is suppose to look like.
The problem appears to be with refreshing the text in that part of the screen, because the Kclipboard also has the same problem with it's menus, they don't display.
However if I move the Calendar application left of the "bad line" then refresh the application (like minimize and then maximize) all text is there and if I move the window to the right of the "bad line" all text remains, so it appears to be a problem with font sub-system doing an initial write of the font to the frame buffer, but that is just a stab in the dark.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
That really looks like a driver bug. I think I know one workaround to the problem. For sure you need to send a bug report to email@example.com.
I think the problem is related to the "Xrender" extension of X which is used for AA fonts and other stuff. You can try to disable hardware acceleration in the render extension or you can choose to disable it fully.
Play with the following options in your screen or device section of the XF86Config(-4) file:
Perhaps these things help.
Using NoRenderAccel fixed the problem, and I did submit a bug to nvidia through the e-mail given.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2013, nV News.