nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Well the NDA is officially up on Desert of Flames. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55382)

ChrisRay 08-20-05 06:54 PM

Well the NDA is officially up on Desert of Flames.

Pros.

Configurable Voice Emotes: Players now have voice emotes such as /flirt /help /healme similar to WoW. The voice overs are well done and not at all detrimental. The best thing about them is the multiple voice sets you are allowed. They can be changed/configured ala Neverwinter Nights

Performance in Expansion: The new expansion zones run much much better than some older zones. You wont run into crap like you see in Zek the Orcish waste where your entire system chugs near the docks. Even the city of Maj'Dul runs very very well.

New Combat System: The new combat system. Despite alot of players complaints. Its much much smoother. Battles arent as reliant on special abilities ((still needed)) combat skills share the same timer. And most melee abilities are cast time free. Stats actually matter in a way that makes having them wortwhile. Strength increases damage in a considerable way and agility makes you more difficult to hit. Class balance is much much better.

Changes to Armor/Weapon System/item system: Using weapons/items/armor no longer scale with you as you level. When you recieve the level to use an item. Its now usable at full ability. However there is now more distinction maded between handcrafted/treasured/fabled/legendary items. This may seem like a nerf to handcrafted but hancrafted is still great stuff to buy early on. Treasured/Fabled/Legendary eequipment find much much more meaning.

I'm iffy about the next changes.

No Group Experience Debt: The removal of group experience debt is not exactly something I am entirely thrilled about

What I am against...

Encounters No longer Lock: Encounters are no longer locking. So if a player is engaged in an encounter. Some high level healer can stand behind them and effectively Power Level yet again. Terribly unpleased with this. However people can assist people in combat. The exp reward goes to the person who started the fight. However if that person doesnt do more than 50% damage they only get half experience. This opens up the game for griefing yet again..

Theres alot of new content aimed at the 45 + crowd. I'll be back later to fill more people in if their curious. :)

NrthnStar5 08-20-05 08:11 PM

Re: Well the NDA is officially up on Desert of Flames.

I'm extremly interested in any information you can share! How is zoning?

Mr. Hunt 08-20-05 08:48 PM

Wait... I forget... is this the EQ2 exp. pack?

Sgt_Pitt 08-21-05 02:32 AM

ooh do tell :)

ruziel 08-21-05 01:32 PM

The two biggest reasons (group debt, locked encounters) why many people stopped/don't play EQ2 is about to die. Definetly a step in the right direction.

MOTÖRHEAD 08-21-05 08:25 PM

This is slighty OT but I want to move my EQ2 character from my current server to a more populated one but I would like to know the detials of such a move. What happens when they transfer your character do you lose all your stuff, money and are your quests, titles, etc reset when it's transfered ?

Sgt_Pitt 08-21-05 10:35 PM

tell me more about locked encounters, does that mean people can loot my corpses and chests ?

Mr. Hunt 08-21-05 11:03 PM

My guess would be the way you "lock" on to enemies you are attacking...

Might be wrong though :\.

ruziel 08-22-05 12:56 AM

Other people can attack the mob you are fighting. OP didn't include what this actually meant...

*** Encounter Locking Changes ***

- Encounter locking restrictions have been relaxed for non-raid encounters.
- Raid encounters should continue to behave exactly as before with the previous encounter locking rules.
- Non-raid encounters have been changed as follows:
- There are no longer lock icons on you or your enemies.
- The first group or person to attack a creature will receive any reward it grants upon death, including loot and experience.
- Other players can assist in your fight by damaging your enemies or healing you.
- You will receive a reduced XP reward if your group contributes less than 50% of the damage needed to kill something.
- You can change group options and add/remove people from groups while fighting (note that fighting raid encounters still prevents this).
- Damage credit is correctly tracked if you add people helping you to the group before something dies.
- Any faction increase or decrease the creature grants will be applied to everyone the creature hates when it dies.

Elderblaze 08-23-05 05:27 AM

nice.. I absolutely hate with every fiber of my being locked combat. though I don't play eq2 anymore.

ChrisRay 08-24-05 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elderblaze
though I don't play eq2 anymore.

Yet you still manage to post in every EQ2 thread about how much you hate the game. :cool:

Tyr-Sog 08-24-05 02:39 PM

ok, silly question. Is this a whole new game, add on what?