nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Never realised Asherons Call 2 was such a failure. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55644)

ChrisRay 08-26-05 02:26 AM

Never realised Asherons Call 2 was such a failure.

http://ac2.turbine.com/index.php?page_id=384

I played it once. Wasnt my thing. I was honestly shocked when i read this. I feel sorry for all the people who dedicated time and money into it.

ChrisRay 08-26-05 02:35 AM

Re: Never realised Asherons Call 2 was such a failure.

Wow. Just wow. I have been reading up on it. They released an expansion in May and announced the games end in August. Wow.. talk about lowbrow..

nVidi0t 08-26-05 02:44 AM

That's pretty sad to hear actually. I remember seeing all the preview vids and being pretty impressed..

GamerGuyX 08-26-05 03:00 AM

Damn I always hate to hear these things happen. :(

Edge 08-26-05 03:16 AM

Hmm, that's too bad. I played the demo for AC2 a while ago, it wasn't my kind of game but the graphics were really quite impressive (I remember right after the training mission, you start on top of a tall hill and I thought that the 2d background was really well done, only to find out that it was actually part of the level and you could run to any place you could see!). It's always a shame to see MMO games close down, hopefully they'll have user-made servers for the game? I'm still annoyed by Earth and Beyond's closure though...

MOTÖRHEAD 08-26-05 03:52 AM

I wonder where all those people well go. I hope they flock to EQ2 instead of going to WoW.

ChrisRay 08-26-05 04:15 AM

If the game had alot of players to flock somewhere. It wouldnt be going out of business. Either way EQ 2 and WOW are obviously prime candidates.

|MaguS| 08-26-05 07:13 AM

AC2 was great and theory and actually was executed great but saddly it didn't get the public backing to excell like it should have. The engine they used for the game was way ahead of its time, it looked awsome and ran great even on low end hardware.

omzig 08-26-05 07:59 AM

I played AC2 for about 6 months (about 2 years ago now )and it was fun untill i got to the content void of lvl 36-50,at that time there where 100's of posts on there dev boards asking for content to be added to these lvl's but the dev's(as always it seems) just didnt bother listening and brought out the nerf bat instead,which as i recall the changes they made where that bad they met with the reaction of mass calculations

i saw my server go from a peak of 1800-2000 down to 600-800 i stuck the grid out with my nerf'ed mage for a few more weeks till i hit lvl 44 but in the end i just could'nt take any more and canned it

it would have been a very good MMO if the company had stuck to the original vision of the game(players rebuilding the world by making there citys expand/stronger & driving out the mobs and reoccupying taken citys/town)but as i recall turbine totally replace the orginial dev team with a totally new team within the first few weeks of the game coming out of beta!

A shame to see it go but i guess thats what you get when you dont listen to the ppl who pay your wages & keep your game world alive...

Badash 08-26-05 10:53 AM

I expected this long ago, can't believe they let it drag out that long and even released an exp recently. The thing is they should have cancelled it last year or maybe after the release of DDO and LOTRO.

Mr. Hunt 08-26-05 11:22 AM

I didn't care for AC2... it was NOTHING AT ALL like the original... and the original is my favorite MMO ever... it was so nice not being limited... you could pretty much do anything you wanted and get to insanely high levels.

AC2 everybody looked the same and it was so restricted.

Ghosthunter 08-29-05 12:48 PM

I played AC2 for about a year in between my breaks with EQ1

It was a vry fun game, adn had a superb player community...but when it came down to it, Microsoft really screwed Turbine and gave them no support whatsoever.

Turbine tried to go their own ways and bought back rights for AC2, and I think they really thought they can pull it off...but it was jsut too late for AC2.

There are just too many MMORPG out there on the market, and nce a game gets a real bad stigma like Shadowbane there is no going back.

To be honest I really thought Horizons would be the next MMORPG to fold before AC2.