nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Cancelled WOW.... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55683)

Tyr-Sog 08-26-05 10:52 PM

Cancelled WOW....

Well, I finally realized that this game has been absorbing way to much of my real life causing problems. So I stripped my toons(lvl 60, 48, 46, 33) and gave the gold away, most being 175g(I just found a epic and it sold) to one noob, lol. Great game but just to much of a time sink. Deteted every character ,snapped each install disk and tossed them away.

I also deleted my toons for EQ2 and deleted the accounts.. I'm just done with MMO's in general. :D

ChrisRay 08-27-05 12:00 AM

Re: Cancelled WOW....

Never really agreed with the delete toons mentality. If you dont wish to play. Cancel your account. I've done it many times. Just shooting yourself in the foot if you ever decide to play again. Killing all your charactors isnt something you need to do if you're disciplined about it. Then again I've been playing these games for 7 years now so I know the drill. Hope you have more fun than you were having.

Me I see it as a shame because I find the MMORPG genre the entire reason I stick with PC gaming.

Roliath 08-27-05 12:31 AM

damnit, should've gave me the discs!
I've been looking to get into WoW, well after my mobo gets back from an RMA

Elderblaze 08-27-05 10:48 AM

I've learned over the years, like Chris, this is generally a baaad idea. Your gonna get nostalgic as hell in a few months, you may last 4-6 months but there's going to be a strong urge to return before long, and you may return anyways, and just start over. Sounds crazy but just wait.

vampireuk 08-27-05 10:52 AM

I trashed my warrior before I cancelled my account so I never have a urge to return to Shadowsong EU because the server is full of stupid kids.

lIqUID 08-27-05 10:54 AM

I swore I wasnt going to resubscribe to WOW simply because Blizzard sucks, but last week the bug hit me again. I ditched my 60 paladin (Frostwolf) though, and am leveling a 22 shaman on Crushridge.

gram_vaz 08-27-05 11:55 AM

1. what does it say about your self discipline that you have to trash your characters so you'll never be tempted to go back? :p

2. dude! your gonna want to go back! just wait until the expansion pack comes out.

Tyr-Sog 08-27-05 12:40 PM

Exactly, never in my life have I not had any selfcontrol when gaming. Beforehand I'd always set aside time for playing nightly, a couple of hours here and there, limit myself at the PC. I'd certainly never turn down a night out on the town. For whatever reason I lost that playing these style games(MMO). I went from being socialbly active to just sitting here lvl'ing and trying to obtain epic gear night after night, weekend after weekend. Wasting a vaction just playing these games. It's not unheard of, it's all to common. I feel for the kids playing these games, wasting their childhood away.
It's a forum of addiction and anyone saying that it can't happen is just fooling themsleves..

For me, the best solution was just what I did. Quit cold turkey. It's all to easy to just sign back up if you leave your toons intact.

Tyr-Sog 08-27-05 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampireuk
I trashed my warrior before I cancelled my account so I never have a urge to return to Shadowsong EU because the server is full of stupid kids.

The game is full of stupid kids, reguardless of server. lol

Elderblaze 08-27-05 09:28 PM

Did you have a good time?
Was it cheap?
Was it safe?
What did you really miss?

Answer these questions, if you honestly came to the conclusion yourself that it was a waste of time and you got nothing from it fine. If you where preassured into this by peer preasure then i'd challenge you to rethink your choice.

If you have a family and responsibilities and people to take care of, im all for it. But if your a single person, do what you want with your free time and F**K all those that condemn you for it, what the hell do they know? I spend alot of time online and people are **always** giving me their two ****ing cents, co-workers, friends, my family accepts it, but hell they are the same way.

MMO's are cheap, safe, and enjoyable entertainment. No different, then watching a movie, listening to some music, or reading a book. People who can't understand that really piss me off.I've been playing these kind fo games for a very long time now, and im much more disciplined, I was always in such a damn hurry to get things done, and I guess over the years I've come to realize there's just no hurry, I still play and enjoy them, and I still do get excited playing them, but I can stop anytime I want, and somtimes for weeks or even months at a time, but I always know i'll be back sooner or later. I used to be a very heavy player though, spending 8 hours a day on them in my highschool and post highschool years. What did I miss really? For all I know mmo's saved my life, it only takes one nite with a roudy group of friends and a few to many drinks to end it all. I have no regrets. You may not agree with me at all right now, perhaps never, but I think you eventually will. I wish you well and don't be so hard on yourself.

Regards,
Mike

P.s just because you'd have to start over won't negate your temptation btw, i speak from experiance.

Scorpiuscat 08-27-05 09:41 PM

I did almost the same thing with Star Wars.

I gave away over 4 million in credits to noobs and my house with all my stuff inside.

But I still have the disks.

Tyr-Sog 08-27-05 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Did you have a good time?
Was it cheap?
Was it safe?
What did you really miss?

Answer these questions, if you honestly came to the conclusion yourself that it was a waste of time and you got nothing from it fine. If you where preassured into this by peer preasure then i'd challenge you to rethink your choice.

If you have a family and responsibilities and people to take care of, im all for it. But if your a single person, do what you want with your free time and F**K all those that condemn you for it, what the hell do they know? I spend alot of time online and people are **always** giving me their two ****ing cents, co-workers, friends, my family accepts it, but hell they are the same way.

MMO's are cheap, safe, and enjoyable entertainment. No different, then watching a movie, listening to some music, or reading a book. People who can't understand that really piss me off.I've been playing these kind fo games for a very long time now, and im much more disciplined, I was always in such a damn hurry to get things done, and I guess over the years I've come to realize there's just no hurry, I still play and enjoy them, and I still do get excited playing them, but I can stop anytime I want, and somtimes for weeks or even months at a time, but I always know i'll be back sooner or later. I used to be a very heavy player though, spending 8 hours a day on them in my highschool and post highschool years. What did I miss really? For all I know mmo's saved my life, it only takes one nite with a roudy group of friends and a few to many drinks to end it all. I have no regrets. You may not agree with me at all right now, perhaps never, but I think you eventually will. I wish you well and don't be so hard on yourself.

Regards,
Mike

P.s just because you'd have to start over won't negate your temptation btw, i speak from experiance.

Nah, no one pressured me, in fact my fiance said, "you did, why? you like that game, I didn't think you were addicted". when I told her...lol. Mind you EQ2 and WOW are my first to MMO's so maybe I'm a noob and the funness/addictabilty caught me by surprised. I just seen a change in my lifestyle and it started to affect me personally and physically(packed on a couple pounds). So in short I needed to quit playing and start going out more. Again my solution being an avid gamer and really liking these games was just to get out completely. Even if i tried to moderate myself playing it's just way to easy to sit down, get invovled in a instance and let the night go by.

I'm by no means giving up gaming, just the games that require the time sink.
:)