nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nvsound support status (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55704)

Thetargos 08-27-05 02:09 PM

nvsound support status

What's the status of the degree of supported features in the latest nvsound module? I'm especally interested regarding support for motherboards which do not have a soundstorm APU chip on them... Will these have hwmixing support with nvsound, or is that feature restricted to soundstorm-enabled boards only?

And another question, how do the ALSA OSS** drivers compare to official nVidia ones, in terms of support, compatibility, etc?

TIA.

Thunderbird 08-27-05 02:47 PM

Re: nvsound support status

HW mixing is limited to soundstorm, non-soundstom boards basicly only contain a audio codec from companies like Realtek. Not sure as I don't have an nforce board yet but I think the main advantage of the nvidia driver is that at the moment it allows you to use spdif which I thought didn't work on alsa yet. (might have changed now though)

Personally I would use the alsa drivers in case you are using a non-soundstorm board.

ppurka 08-27-05 03:56 PM

Alsa supports SPDIF output. AFAIK, you can set it through the IEC958 switch in alsamixer.

But, having a board with soundstorm on it, I will say that the nvsound driver gives a better sound quality than ALSA does. However there are still a few problems left with 5.1 sound output and mplayer, which are not completely fixed even in the latest driver.

So, IMHO, if you are using only stereo output, you should get better sound and a good working system if you use nvsound driver.

Thetargos 08-27-05 04:47 PM

I have an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, which does NOT have soundstorm. Currently I'm using the ALSA drivers, with a rather complex asoundrc file for dmix which once is properly confgured, I must admit works very well (just as long as you don't try to mix alsa + oss || oss + oss sound streams (AKA games like Quake derivatives or any program in conjuction with TeamSpeak or Skype :( ). So currently I rescued my old Sound Blaster Live Value, which has great support with ALSA, plus very good sound quality.

However I've got many friends who aren't as lucky as I, and are stuck with their on-board sound solution, and many of them have considered buying a Creative card (though that can be decieving, especially with their Audigy LS and Live 24-bit).

I scanned through the documentation for nvsound, and maybe it would be nice of nVidia to state about hwmixing support for soundstorm-enabled boards.

ppurka 08-27-05 11:53 PM

Quote:

I scanned through the documentation for nvsound, and maybe it would be nice of nVidia to state about hwmixing support for soundstorm-enabled boards.
Of course, the nvsound driver supports hardware mixing for soundstorm enabled boards. As you can see in this excerpt from an earlier driver:
Quote:

Release Highlights for 1.0-0283:

* Added support for Linux Installer
* Added support for SoundStorm (Hardware Mixing supported)

Thetargos 08-28-05 12:49 AM

Hmm... they should state that as a supported featured, 'cause I could not find that in the docs (didn't look at 'em too thoroughly, though).