nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New "roundup" layout for front page news (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55801)

Clay 08-30-05 01:21 AM

New "roundup" layout for front page news

Let me know what you think...we've had many requests for this in the past.

http://www.nvnews.net/#1125382405

retsam 08-30-05 01:30 AM

Re: New "roundup" layout for front page news

can you make this an opt in or opt out feature.... im just not digging it, right now concidering i just open them up anyways....

Clay 08-30-05 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retsam
can you make this an opt in or opt out feature.... im just not digging it, right now concidering i just open them up anyways....

Perhaps. We had a lot of people request this in the past with the reason being they only wanted to see "video card news" or only that and "CPU news" but not other news. :) Just trying to give what I thought most people wanted. I could give you the ability to "collapse/expand all" at once. Would that be good enough? Otherwise, we'd have to get into a user profile setup (cookies, etc) so that it would remember your preferences and we don't really want to do that for the front page at this time anyway.

Sazar 08-30-05 01:34 AM

Consider perhaps defaulting to expanded view and collapse when needed.

By default collapsing it simply reduces liklihood of clicks.

Clay 08-30-05 01:35 AM

Let's give this a day or so to get some more feedback (maybe those that wanted this will chime in). I'll tweak it to whatever the majority wants. :cool:

GlowStick 08-30-05 01:38 AM

Well, first off, very cool web programming.

However, after reading this post i just realized what those links were, i just ignored them when i saw them there.

Honestly, i dont like it. I dont see why 'space' is such an issue unless someone is running 800x600 or something.

retsam 08-30-05 03:43 AM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, first off, very cool web programming.
ya really ....good job!

Superfly 08-30-05 05:28 AM

me not like

SH64 08-30-05 07:56 AM

Thanks for the effort Clay though i still prefer the calssic view because i get used to take a quick look at the roundups & pick whatever interests me.
now that just make the job takes longer :p

Clay 08-30-05 09:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Now I'm wondering where all the folks are that wanted it this way a year or so ago. :D I definitely agree with what you all are saying, it does just add more time to read the news. I'll give others time to share their thoughts here but I'll likely make a change back to more of the previous layout tonight. I'll probably tweak it so that it is defaulted open like Sazar suggested unless there really is no interest at all in being able to collapse the headings. Thanks again for the feedback guys.

From an "above the fold" standpoint though, I do like this as it allows more room for past news postings. That's a very minor thing though. The bottom line to me is whatever the majority of you guys want.

Ninjaman09 08-30-05 09:48 AM

Eh, I like it. :D

Clay 08-30-05 10:24 AM

I changed it to be more like the old style, I'll probably tweak it a bit more but I think we'll abandon the collapsable feature. :)