nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Beeping Sounds (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56165)

Alanlim 09-06-05 11:14 PM

Beeping Sounds

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I need help on beeping sounds after i installed a new Aopen FX5500 VGA. Everything runs find actually but just this beeping sound when i play 3D games, it just beeps at random.

But on 2D applications or games and leaving it idle it doen't beeps.

These are the steps that i've tried,
1) Re-inserted to VGA card
2) change to various driver from installation disc and web updates
3) In bios:
- changed the voltage from 1.5V, 1.6V to 1.7 V
- changed VGA aperture from 64MB to 256
- changed graphic frequencies
4) Attached new casing fans in fear of over heating
5) Check all fans on VGA, PSU, P4 is running
6) Left the casing opened

The beeping sound is still there when i play 3D games (Homeworld2, GC2, IL2 Sturmovik etc.)

My PC specs,
P4 2.0Ghz
Aopen FX 5500
Asus socket 478 AGP4 mobo
400Watt ATX PSU
512 Ram

I've re-inserted my previous MX440 and there 's no beeping sound!

So should i go and get a new more reliable PSU?

or

The bios heat setting for the Vid card needs to be increase, which i can't find it in bios and don't know how?

Any help or comments is appreciated 'cause my 1 week warranty for replacing a faulty vid card expires in 2 days.

Thanks in advance.

The Punisher 09-08-05 06:35 AM

Re: Beeping Sounds

Ur beeping sounds reminds me of a similar problem that older generations of ForceWare drivers had with FX series cards. Not sure if that issue affects the FX5500 but its worth a try to use the latest WHQL certified drivers from nVidia. Make sure u completely uninstalled the old driver in safe mode & run Driver Cleaner before restarting in normal mode & installing the new drivers. Good luck.

Alanlim 09-08-05 08:51 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice.

As a last resort i've change to a more powerful and stable power supply and the beeping sound is gone, probably the old PSU is worn out and underpower.

As a bonus the whole casing is now 80%+ cooler than was before (no joke). Well another problem solved and learned.

The Punisher 09-09-05 06:26 AM

Wow, PSU can affect ur video card to beep?? Thats something new hahaha. Well if it solved ur problem & reduced the heat then probably one of the chips or circuits in ur old PSU were either dying (due to oxidation) or overheating (due to the fan slowing down), causing power fluctuations.

Alanlim 09-11-05 09:43 PM

Hi Punisher,

Well like you said the old PSU was probably dying and the new GPU was drawing it's power.

Anyway i notice on your signature that you have an agp 4X mobo and uses the 5900. I'd like to know how much graphic power do you loose as compare to a agp 8X mobo.

I too have agp 4X mobo but my 5500 has the capacity of 8X, how much am i loosing out on praphic out put? Thanks.

The Punisher 09-12-05 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanlim
Hi Punisher,

Well like you said the old PSU was probably dying and the new GPU was drawing it's power.

Anyway i notice on your signature that you have an agp 4X mobo and uses the 5900. I'd like to know how much graphic power do you loose as compare to a agp 8X mobo.

I too have agp 4X mobo but my 5500 has the capacity of 8X, how much am i loosing out on praphic out put? Thanks.

The 4x AGP slows ur performance only if a game changes the graphic data that it loads into the cards memory frequently. The wider ur AGP bandwidth, the faster it can change this data. So it depends on the game that u r playing, if a game is efficient at fully utilizing the cards memory then u'll not notice a big hit in performance during gameplay coz there ain't much traffic going thru the AGP bus. So if a card the has lots of memory then chances r u'll do just fine with a 4x AGP mobo coz the game is able to load more data into memory thus reducing the times the card's memory needs to be updated. But if the card's memory is 128MB or less then u might feel a stiff hit on performance as the game needs to update the card's memory more often than a card with more memory. I hope I'm not confusing u hehehe

rohit 09-12-05 01:54 PM

After reading over 15 reviews on ti4200-4x and ti4200-8x. and many other reviews on AGP4X v/s AGP8X. the difference is 1-2% max.
check anandtech, digit-life etc etc. read some articles on agp4x vs 8x you would get some idea.

Alanlim 09-12-05 08:44 PM

(salute) ok thanks guys.

Didn't read much about 8X and 4X but did some research about PCIX and AGP before i decided to get the FX5500.

I was thinking of building a new PCIX PC but after some reading on the subject i've decided to wait untill new games that requires Dual Core Processor and kick a** GPU's to up grade. So i'm saving my bucks for next year either for everything Dual Core PC or a PS3. I just hope i can wait that long.

The Punisher 09-14-05 03:45 AM

I'm waiting for the the rite time to upgrade to the Pentium D & PCIe mobo too. For the time being my trusty 5900U still manages to get the job done for Far Cry, DOOM III & Half-Life 2 ;)