nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5659)

volt 12-27-02 04:12 PM

Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

I thought I'd share my experience because I think it's worth to try.
After following this tutorial you should be able to fireup *most* Windows based applications and games.

This is a bit different from borgzilla's post. I will go into more detail on installing and configuring WineX emulator.

First you need to grab CVS version (or if you have a stable version of WineX, preferably in tarball format)

Log into your X server environment using your username (not root). Then open up a terminal and type:

NOTE: if you already have a tarball version of WineX you can skip the first step.

Your first step is to log into CVS server:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login

It will ask you for a password so just press ENTER.
Now you need to grab the latest files (it may take a while)
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine

(You should end up in /home/<username>/wine)
NOTE: you need to substitute <username> for your username of course :)

Your second step would be compiling WineX.

In README they say that you should use the installation script from ./tools/wineinstall but we won't :) Being still in /home/<username>/wine let's configure it:

./configure

(Using ./configure -help will list different parameters you could use)
NOTE: If you compile from the WineX source and don't specify any arguments in ./configure, all dll's will be dumped to /usr/local/lib. You DON'T have to specify anything in ./configure if you don't want to, but you will have to change one thing after installation.

After the configuration process type:

make depend && make

(This may take upto an hour depending on your CPU/RAM)

During the third step you will HAVE to install WineX with root privileges because ldconfig will be ran in the end, so type:

su root
<ENTER password>
(You should still be in /home/<username>/wine

Now let's install WineX:

make install

All the files will be copied and ldconfig will start. As I mentioned above if you didnt specify anything in ./configure, you will get an error trying to fireup a Windows application. In other words executing: wine /home/volt/.wine/c_drive/mIRC/mIRC.exe will most likely produce: "Error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so"

In order to fix that, you need to temper with /etc/ld.so.conf
Using root privileges edit ld.so.conf (I used 'pico /etc/ld.so.conf', but you can use whatever editor you like). It is possible that the dynamic linker simply doesn't know to look for the dll's. It will look into /lib or /usr/lib but not usr/local/lib. So open ld.so.conf with your favorite editor and add /usr/local/lib path to it. It should work now.

No...we are not done :D

Your third step is pretty simple :)
We will now configure WineX in your home directory. We need to make couple of folders:

mkdir /home/<username>/.wine
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows/system
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/windows/system32
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files
or
mkdir /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program_files

NOTE: Do NOT change the system paths, though you may change the 'program files' path to something else.

Now we need to copy a sample config file from CVS directory ./wine/documentation/samples/config to your /home/<username>/.wine directory:

cp /home/<username>/wine/documentation/samples/config /home/<username>/.wine

Being still root, edit the file that you have copied:

pico /home/<username>/.wine/config (or whatever editor you prefer)

Now go down to:

[Drive C]
"Path" = "${HO****/.wine/c_drive/" "
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Windows Drive"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

(Make your [Drive C] section look like the above)

Now go to [Registry] section and make sure
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "Y"
Than there are different settings, which I will not get into (it's specified in the documents). You can choose specific settings for each application ex:

[AppDefaults\\quake3.exe\\x11drv]
"Managed" = "Y"
"Desktop" = "1024x768"

This will tell WineX to fireup Quake III in a window @ 1024x768

Now we need to create a registry. Go into your WineX CVS directory (/home/<username>/wine) and type:

./programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg

This will create a file in /home/<username/.wine

NOTE: I did not have to edit anything else, though you may if you want to change the system paths and other stuff :)

LET'S PLAY ALREADY!

Okay so you can install the game from CD-ROM into /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive or fire it up from your FAT32 drive (Note I did not experiment with NTFS partitions because it's dangerous). If you are not confident just install the game on your Linux drive :)

I will be installing Quake III:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
wine setup.exe (or whatever the setup is called)

This will fireup the installation process. By default it will install the game in C:\Program Files\Quake III (I think). Don't worry it's actually installing the game in /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files (where c_drive is C:\)

Once it's installed let's play it :)
If you want to start a game with parameters type:
wine -- c:\\program files\\Quake III\quake3.exe -nocdaudio -nojoy +mlook (-- is used when you want to specify a parameter)

If you don't want parameters than just go into /home/<username>/.wine/c_drive/program files/Quake III
and type:

wine quake3.exe

Voila!

The Analog Kid 12-28-02 10:50 AM

If you are having problems compiling with WineX you my want to look to here for some solutions. Scroll farther down the page.
BTW, does WineX work with NT/2000/XP version of Windows, I know wine won't but will WineX?

volt 12-28-02 11:18 AM

What would be the purpose of Wine/WineX under Windows? :confused:

The Analog Kid 12-28-02 01:57 PM

No, I meant can it use a NT/2000/XP windows installation for DLLs and the such instead of Fake Windows, so I don't have to reboot to play a game.

volt 12-28-02 02:22 PM

WineX comes with its own DLL files. It works with Windows 9x and up. As I explained above, you can either play from your Windows partition (by mounting the partition from /dev into /mnt) or you can simply install an application/game onto your linux partition and play directly from it.

doom 01-01-03 04:27 AM

Re: Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

Quote:

Originally posted by volt
Now you need to grab the latest files (it may take a while)
cvs -z3 -d: pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine

"pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex"

should be

"pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex"

BTW, must all my .wine folders be setup in the /home/ dir. and not /root ?

volt 01-01-03 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Tutorial: Playing Windows Games | Redhat 8.0

Quote:

Originally posted by doom
"pserver@anonymous@cvs.winex"

should be

"pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex"

BTW, must all my .wine folders be setup in the /home/ dir. and not /root ?

Oops sorry! Changed!
Thanks doom :)

No but in my example I put it in /home/<user> becuase I'm the user and I would like to be able to actually play from that dir. Why? Because users don't have permission to access or modify /root nor other folders. In /home/<user> you can do whatever you want (read/write/compile/execute). I think I know where you are going hehe (not enough space in /home ?)

I never use the root account unless I have to (installing, compiling globally etc). You should not either. If you want you could create a folder .wine in /root just like in /home/<user> with all the wine subfolders), than you could change the permission on that folder to let's say 777 (being root type: chmod 777 /root/.wine) Now you should be able to use that directory instead of /home/<user>/.wine :)

lmetza 01-20-03 12:58 AM

[root@mdoc-km-244-55-249 wine]# /programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg
bash: /programs/regapi/regapi: No such file or directory

I did exactly everything you specified in your guide so far, and it says that when i type ./programs/regapi/regapi setValue < winedefault.reg

Please help. i will leave terminal open at its current state. i wont close it so i can continue on later.

lmetza 01-20-03 01:15 AM

i went to install warcraft 3 and i got this.

[dan@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]$ wine install.exe
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I added /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf with vim (i didnt have pico) i even added it to the top and i tried the bottom, no work. Please help me, i getting sofrustrated with all this stuff..... :confused:

lmetza 01-20-03 02:13 AM

well i fixed the error about the shared file, but i still cant make the registry.

I went to install warcraft 3 again and now itsays this

[root@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]# wine install.exe
wineserver: chdir /root/.wine : No such file or directory

I did everything by your guide, i dont understand why it doesnt work

lmetza 01-20-03 02:26 AM

rrr. i get anotehr step further , now this.

wineserver: mkdir wineserver-mdoc-km-244-55-249.monarch.net : Permission denied

permission denied for what?, this is really annoying:confused: :confused: :confused:

lmetza 01-20-03 02:52 AM

K, frick, pain in the arse, i had to reset all folder permissions for /home/dan/.wine and all fodlers withing .wine (they where all set for root and not dan) so i couldent access them, Now i have this fonts problem, I copyed my Fonts folder over from my XP system but then i got this error. (first time it couldent find fonts) so what does it do when i give it the fonts, it spits em back at me...
well i go to sleep :o :o :o
I copyed and pasted this stupid error, please let me know how to fix this one, It shouldnt really be that hard, somethings messed (i hope not too bad)

err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/roman.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/script.fon" err = 2
err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file "/home/dan/.wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.
[dan@mdoc-km-244-55-249 cdrom]$