nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Overclocking 5950U makes things slower. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57865)

blueden 10-09-05 07:20 AM

Overclocking 5950U makes things slower.

Overclocking my ASUS V9980 5950U results in fps falling dramatically in 3d apps. Even changing settings so that Overclocking is enabled (say using coolbits or nvhardpage), brings fps right down. I've checked temperatures and they're fine, and the clock speeds aren't being reset ingame. Bringing the clock settings back to their defaults doesn't fix it either. The only way to get performance back to its original is to reinstall drivers. I've overclocked this card before without trouble, but that was a while ago (months) and since then i've reset the clock speeds. Someone please help. I've heard that other people have had these problems, but these forums don't seem to have a search feature..

saturnotaku 10-09-05 08:42 AM

Re: Overclocking 5950U makes things slower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueden
but these forums don't seem to have a search feature..

Yes they do. You have to register to be able to use it, but it's there.

I'd have to say that when you overclocked your card in the past, you probably did some kind of permanent damage to it. Just reinstall the drivers, don't enable any overclocking features and leave well enough alone.

SLippe 10-09-05 01:41 PM

Hmmm. I've never had a problem with my ASUS V9980 Ultra. I had it oc'd at 560/1.04. I'd uninstall your drivers, use Driver Cleaner and reinstall. If it still happens, then it could be almost anything, Windows, BIOS, etc. Make sure you have Windows updated, check your BIOS settings to make sure you have Video BIOS Caching disabled, Video BIOS Shadow disabled, and VGA Palette Snoop disabled. Other than that, I don't know what to tell, besides what saturnotaku said about permanent damage. Good luck.

jimmor 10-09-05 04:04 PM

ASUS 59xxxx bioses don't typically operate iaw the requirements of the Nvidia spec. So trying to use coolbits/rivatuner for overclocking can cause problems. Unlike Nvidia sec'd bioses which use three seperate parameter tables to determne 2D, Throttling and 3D levels, many ASUS bioses only use one; which is located in a completely different part of the bios. Which generally means that you are only supposed to use ASUS proprietary tools for overclocking their cards.

Probably done to ensure their customers don't overdo things !

When looking at Core Speed in Rivatuners Hardware monitor, what does it show for 2D ( desktop) and 3D (game, 3dmark, etc) activities ?

SLippe 10-10-05 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmor
ASUS 59xxxx bioses don't typically operate iaw the requirements of the Nvidia spec. So trying to use coolbits/rivatuner for overclocking can cause problems. Unlike Nvidia sec'd bioses which use three seperate parameter tables to determne 2D, Throttling and 3D levels, many ASUS bioses only use one; which is located in a completely different part of the bios. Which generally means that you are only supposed to use ASUS proprietary tools for overclocking their cards.

Probably done to ensure their customers don't overdo things !

When looking at Core Speed in Rivatuners Hardware monitor, what does it show for 2D ( desktop) and 3D (game, 3dmark, etc) activities ?

I disagree with you here. I have used either coolbits, coolbits 2, or nvtweak on my ASUS V9980 Ultra from the time I owned it. I've never used ASUS' software, I've only ever used official drivers from nvidia's site.

jimmor 10-10-05 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNT
I disagree with you here. I have used either coolbits, coolbits 2, or nvtweak on my ASUS V9980 Ultra from the time I owned it. I've never used ASUS' software, I've only ever used official drivers from nvidia's site.

You shouldn't confuse the issue by posting on what MIGHT have been done when it is unimportant to the FACT that ASUS Bioses are PROPRIETARY items !

They are NOT produced to NVIDIA SPEC's, therefore there is NO requirement for Nvidia drivers to completely support them !

If you load a ASUS V9980 (5950u) bios into NibiTor v2.5 it will not show any Speeds or Volts. And that's because ASUS bios speed and volts tables are NON STANDARD, ie outside nvidia spec's.

Therefore regardless what you think you used for overclocking ----> You were supposed to use ASUS Proprietary tools.

But if you still want to help blueden, then it is most important that you identify the exact non-asus procedure you used for overclocking and making it stick.

To overcome many shortcommings in ASUS bioses, I always recommended that ASUS card owners should flash their cards with other manufacturers 5950u bioses. Since everybody elses were actually made to the nvidia spec; and were thus better to mod.

SLippe 10-10-05 10:25 PM

I would suggest not even messing with the BIOS in the first place. I never did. If not done correctly, you stand a better chance of screwing your card more so than overclocking it. Do what you will, it's your card. Getting rid of my 5950U is not something I regret.

jimmor 10-11-05 06:09 AM

For their day, aside from DX9 which isn't really supported, the FX59xxx series of cards were excellent performers. And its amazing how much extra can be got from simple bios modding and overclocking.

My Aopen 5900NU, when flashed with a tweaked BFG5950u bios, achieves the following,

Typical for 5900nu at 550/970
Aquamark3, 55347
Codecreatures1, 67.3
3Dmark05 v120, 1482
3Dmark03 v360, 8077
3Dmark2001se v330, 20709

And a real 5950u card, with better quality components and 256Mb of memory, should easily achieve more.

Also getting involved with bios modding or flashing of vga cards is no more dangerous than overclocking GPU/CPU/ram or flashing mobo bioses. But as always, those who are simply not comfortable with the idea, or not confident enough in their abilities, should definately not try such things.

Kev1 10-12-05 01:28 AM

Jimmor helped me tweak the 5950 bios I flashed my 5900NU too. I not only flashed my 5900 to a 5950, but I tweaked my memory latency timings and everything worked fantastic :thumbsup: Extremely fast with scores close to what Jimmor posted on his. Perfectly stable too.

The card is still working great in my sisters computer. When I had it I played Doom3 just fine at 1024 x 768, high settings. Not as fast as my 6600GT but still usually around 50 fps which is not bad.

Not the greatest DX9 card, but still does ok. I always thought the 5900 series got a bad rap. I still think they are very good cards.

SLippe 10-12-05 02:21 AM

The 5900 series was about the only good thing about the FX line-up. I'm just glad I didn't buy that 256mb 5600 I had on layaway at one time. LOL Don't get me wrong, I loved my 5950 Ultra, but after 2 years, I wanted something faster...hence, my new 6800 GT.

Redeemed 10-12-05 03:06 PM

Grunt, there were two version of the 5950U. If I'm not mistaken, you have the first. If blueden had the SECOND VERSION, then the two cards ARE DIFFERENT. I also own a V9980U. But it is the second version, thus single slot design. Also, regardless of which OC'ing program I use, there is one option to OC- 3D. There is NO 2D option, nothing but just 3D. Even with extra cooling added, my V9980U peaked at 515/1.07 and after a while (several months) temperatures started hiking up there and games became slightly choppy when normally they weren't.

If blueden's 5950U is the 2nd version and yours, GRUNT is the first, then whatever worked for your card can be considered irrelevant. Consider yourself lucky to have a first revision V9980U, as that was the superior design. If I were in charge of ASUS back in the 5950U days, I'd would have had to versions of the 5950U- one being dual slot as yours probably is GRUNT, the other being single slot.

Anyways, I always used coolbits to oc my V9980U, and it helped to up the AGP voltage to 1.7 also. BUT, just make sure you have sufficient cooling to handle this, blueden, otherwise you'll regret it. The 5950U was never intended to be single slot, thus if your 5950U IS single slot, you'll run into cooling problems sooner than those with dual slot 5950Us would. If you are really desperate for more performance but don't want to build a new rig, pick up an AGP 6800GT. They're like $290 or less now and will offer double the performance of that 5950U. ;-) :-D :-D :-D

SLippe 10-12-05 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Grunt, there were two version of the 5950U. If I'm not mistaken, you have the first. If blueden had the SECOND VERSION, then the two cards ARE DIFFERENT. I also own a V9980U. But it is the second version, thus single slot design. Also, regardless of which OC'ing program I use, there is one option to OC- 3D. There is NO 2D option, nothing but just 3D. Even with extra cooling added, my V9980U peaked at 515/1.07 and after a while (several months) temperatures started hiking up there and games became slightly choppy when normally they weren't.

If blueden's 5950U is the 2nd version and yours, GRUNT is the first, then whatever worked for your card can be considered irrelevant. Consider yourself lucky to have a first revision V9980U, as that was the superior design. If I were in charge of ASUS back in the 5950U days, I'd would have had to versions of the 5950U- one being dual slot as yours probably is GRUNT, the other being single slot.

Anyways, I always used coolbits to oc my V9980U, and it helped to up the AGP voltage to 1.7 also. BUT, just make sure you have sufficient cooling to handle this, blueden, otherwise you'll regret it. The 5950U was never intended to be single slot, thus if your 5950U IS single slot, you'll run into cooling problems sooner than those with dual slot 5950Us would. If you are really desperate for more performance but don't want to build a new rig, pick up an AGP 6800GT. They're like $290 or less now and will offer double the performance of that 5950U. ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Yes, mine was the 1st version dual slot and yes, I never had any heating issues, not even at the 560/1.04 that is stayed at for like a year or whatever. Weird that you don't have a 2d overclock, not that it matters, but still. One thing I never did is mess with the voltage, on that card or any card for that matter. I figure if it's running okay oc'd, then why should I mess with it? I see that people are upping their voltage on their 6800 GT's as well. Hmmmm... :confused: