nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   FEAR patch 1.01 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58313)

SH64 10-17-05 11:17 PM

FEAR patch 1.01
 
http://www.worthplaying.com/article....thread&order=0

Quote:

Global:

* Fixed a problem where players could fall under the map after pressing ESC while climbing a ladder.
* Fixed a bug where water FX would play where there was no water in the "Heavy Resistance" level.

Multiplayer:

* Fixed the Game Type filter on the server browser screen.
* Fixed broken ladder animations.
* Spectator "Fly" mode now works as intended.
* SlowMo Score Time is now reported through the in-game server browser for SlowMo CTF games.
* Fixed a problem where players would sometimes spawn into Team Elimination games as a neutral player.
* Team Eliminmation servers will no longer advance to the next round if you are the first to join and then switch teams.
* Dead players will no longer win the round in Elimination game types if they have the highest score when time runs out.
* The score tally on the HUD now works properly in all Elimination game types.
* Remote clients can no longer log into SCMD on hosted games as original intended. SCMD still works as before on dedicated servers.
* The weapon of the player you are watching will no longer appear on the screen when using the "Follow" spectator mode.
* Fixed problem with grenades getting stuck on or bouncing off of breakable windows in certain levels.
* Further optimized performance and fixed minor lighting and art bugs in the Streets CTF level.


superklye 10-17-05 11:20 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Wow...it's not even out and there's a patch. Awesome. :rolleyes2

PaiN 10-17-05 11:28 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
I don't think the patch is available yet.....(maybe after mid-night)
:( no mention of the "Hardlock" bug....

marqmajere 10-17-05 11:30 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Wow...it's not even out and there's a patch. Awesome. :rolleyes2


Quick to judge, aren't we?

First off, how do developers know how the game will respond to countless configurations, operating systems, and general tomfoolery? People do some wierd things to thier comps, and for some odd reason, it's always the devs faults. Can they help it that it works good on the comps they use to create the game, but wont work on Joe Smoes comp considering he might have a completely different setup? Who knows what 'ol Joe has done to his rig?

Secondly, this is a good thing. A patch comming out so quickly means they are paying attention and getting right to fixing whatever problems there might be.

PaiN 10-17-05 11:32 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaiN
I don't think the patch is available yet.....(maybe after mid-night)
:( no mention of the "Hardlock" bug....


:confused: Oh ...crap, it is after mid-night ...hehe

SH64 10-17-05 11:32 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaiN
I don't think the patch is available yet.....(maybe after mid-night)

huh ? what do you mean ? i'm downloading it right now!

superklye 10-17-05 11:43 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marqmajere
Quick to judge, aren't we?

First off, how do developers know how the game will respond to countless configurations, operating systems, and general tomfoolery? People do some wierd things to thier comps, and for some odd reason, it's always the devs faults. Can they help it that it works good on the comps they use to create the game, but wont work on Joe Smoes comp considering he might have a completely different setup? Who knows what 'ol Joe has done to his rig?

Umm...the betas and demos?

Quote:

Secondly, this is a good thing. A patch comming out so quickly means they are paying attention and getting right to fixing whatever problems there might be.
It'd be a better thing if this wasn't a problem that needed to be patched the night before the game was released, but rather something they caught before it went Gold.

How many times do you hear about this happening? Not many. If this was a common thing, then it'd be different.

I'm still very impressed with the game and definitely going to buy it, I just think it's somewhat sad that they missed so many things that the betas and demos should have revealed. What's the point of an open beta, otherwise?

PaiN 10-17-05 11:48 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
huh ? what do you mean ? i'm downloading it right now!

me too :)

here's a link:
http://www.sierra.com/downloadfile.d...&mediaid=15672

|MaguS| 10-17-05 11:57 PM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Umm...the betas and demos?

Don't always run on the same code that the final gold version does, even then a new bug can be introduced upon it going gold. No game is ever bug free... you can't test every situation and ever configuration possible.

superklye 10-18-05 12:10 AM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Don't always run on the same code that the final gold version does, even then a new bug can be introduced upon it going gold. No game is ever bug free... you can't test every situation and ever configuration possible.

Fine, but when a beta/demo is released this close to the game going gold and coming out, it's probably pretty safe to assume the code is going to be very similar if not exactly the same.

And look at the list of fixes. These aren't small bugs that affect only certain setups, especially some of the multiplayer things. Those are things on their end that shouldn't have made it past beta/demo.

Aside from BF2 (I think) and maybe SCCT, I can't think of any other games that had patches out before the game was even out.

It just really makes them look bad, I think. Yeah, they're "keeping on top of the community," but, the game isn't out yet. And if it necessitated a patch before the game is released, it must mean that the bugs are pretty significant.

You can argue about it all you want, but did Doom3 have a patch out pre-release? What about FarCry, WC3, UT2k4...same circumstances/situations that Monolith are facing: millions of computers, no two exactly alike, yet they were able to put off patching for weeks or months after release. So those excuses don't really apply as far as I'm concerned.

jAkUp 10-18-05 12:15 AM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
SS2 had a patch before it came out too :D

But a patch is better than no patch. Maybe UT2004 and Doom3 needed patches also... but they just took their sweet time.

marqmajere 10-18-05 12:18 AM

Re: FEAR patch 1.01
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Fine, but when a beta/demo is released this close to the game going gold and coming out, it's probably pretty safe to assume the code is going to be very similar if not exactly the same.

And look at the list of fixes. These aren't small bugs that affect only certain setups, especially some of the multiplayer things. Those are things on their end that shouldn't have made it past beta/demo.

Aside from BF2 (I think) and maybe SCCT, I can't think of any other games that had patches out before the game was even out.

It just really makes them look bad, I think. Yeah, they're "keeping on top of the community," but, the game isn't out yet. And if it necessitated a patch before the game is released, it must mean that the bugs are pretty significant.

You can argue about it all you want, but did Doom3 have a patch out pre-release? What about FarCry, WC3, UT2k4...same circumstances/situations that Monolith are facing: millions of computers, no two exactly alike, yet they were able to put off patching for weeks or months after release. So those excuses don't really apply as far as I'm concerned.

Would you rather buy the game and wait on a patch to fix your troubles? Myself, I like the fact that they fixed the problems before I pick up my copy. Now I can play the game without the bugs the second I start it up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.