nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   which linux? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59018)

i.r-fool 10-30-05 06:56 AM

which linux?
 
I hear there are so many linux os's out there, especialy ones that are questionable. i am thinking of trying linux out to see if its any good. are there any opinions as to what i should look for, like eg. i see there's many different companies or so that release their own linux. so should i try one of them, if so which one is best, or should i go for the one of the free ones?

Daneel Olivaw 10-30-05 08:58 AM

Re: which linux?
 
Fedora Core is my favorite for noobs. ;)
Linux is FREE.

Why the h would you pay.

kgroombr 10-30-05 11:55 AM

Re: which linux?
 
Mandriva, used to be Mandrake (www.mandrivalinux.com), is my first recommendation for a new linux user. Most say it is a pretty easy install.

I would recommend downloading the distros that the folks here recommend, and loading them one at a time, play with it a few days, and blow it away with the next distro. Each distro has something that appeals to a group of people. There really isn't the "best" distro IMHO, it is just what you like.

I have loaded a good twenty or so different distros over the years. I probably should do a comparison again to see how they all stand.

If you get fairly good with Linux and want to jump in head first, go with Gentoo (www.gentoo.org). I find it an excellent all around distro, but it is not for a new user. Start with a stage 2 install.

Ken

ricercar 10-30-05 02:33 PM

Re: which linux?
 
IIRC RedHat (Fedora Core) is the most common Linux among the customers of my workplace's shipping products for Linux. We also use Fedora core for our server product (VMware ESX Server)

Then SuSE, then Mandriva. You can expect to find help on the web from just about any Linux, but the most common Linuxes have the most prevalent posting of problems, and the most widespread posting of solutions.

I find SuSE wonderful for their support of ThinkPads, but for nForce desktops, I choose Redhat

i.r-fool 10-30-05 05:11 PM

Re: which linux?
 
I tried looking 4 drivers 4 my pc to go with linux, but I only found drivers for my display card (ATI). I couldnt find any linux drivers 4 my m/board (pf5 extreme) - is there any other place where one can find drivers for components 4 linux except from the manufacturers site?

tabanus 10-30-05 05:37 PM

Re: which linux?
 
If you just want to try Linux out first, you could do a lot worse than try Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which you run from a CD or DVD, and is based on Debian. Personally I use Gentoo, because of it's configurability and ease of updating, but it takes ages to install and fully set-up.

Subtestube 10-30-05 06:23 PM

Re: which linux?
 
I just recently moved to the most recent release of Ubuntu, and I have to say, I'm rather impressed. Very nice, and pretty easy to set up.

Daneel Olivaw 10-30-05 10:30 PM

Re: which linux?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by i.r-fool
I tried looking 4 drivers 4 my pc to go with linux, but I only found drivers for my display card (ATI). I couldnt find any linux drivers 4 my m/board (pf5 extreme) - is there any other place where one can find drivers for components 4 linux except from the manufacturers site?

I know that Fedora carries a huge amount of drivers, you probably don't have to worry about that. Linux is very mature now.


Though an ATI card for Linux might not be a perfect fit.

evilghost 10-31-05 10:00 AM

Re: which linux?
 
Another vote for Ubuntu.

retsam 10-31-05 11:22 PM

Re: which linux?
 
Quote:

If you just want to try Linux out first, you could do a lot worse than try Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which you run from a CD or DVD, and is based on Debian. Personally I use Gentoo, because of it's configurability and ease of updating, but it takes ages to install and fully set-up.
knoppix...boots right from the cd...no formats no partitions...nothing ...just load and go ...great way to get your feet wet....
i use knoppix-std by the way .... its great if your into security...

evilghost 11-01-05 09:23 AM

Re: which linux?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by retsam
knoppix...boots right from the cd...no formats no partitions...nothing ...just load and go ...great way to get your feet wet....
i use knoppix-std by the way .... its great if your into security...

Most of the newer distributions will also have a live CD version, like Knoppix. I know Ubuntu has one as well. :D

wnd 11-01-05 02:26 PM

Re: which linux?
 
I use Debian GNU/Linux sid myself, but from what I've heard, I'd recommend Ubuntu for people who are new to Linux. And just to start another war between Gnome/KDE, you may want to try Kubuntu as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.