nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   City of Villians (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59175)

Tyr-Sog 11-01-05 05:44 PM

City of Villians

I never even heard of this game. Have no idea what it's about but me and a buddy are just looking for a change of pace from, BF2, WWII games and wow. I noticed on it's website that it there was a similar game, City of Heros so I assume it can be judge off that one.. Is this game any good? Anyone gonna play it?

Thanks/.

Tyr-Sog 11-01-05 05:46 PM

Re: City of Villians

Guess it should have been posted in the mmo forum. :/

hatorian 11-22-05 01:54 AM

I love this game. Actually I have both City of Heroes and City of Villains. Had you played CoH? It is completely the opposite of CoV. Thats all I can say.. You just have to be powerful to rule the world.

Tyr-Sog 11-22-05 09:01 AM

Yea, I bought it and well, I just can;t get in to it lol. I think WOW has just corrupted and brainwashed me in to not likeing any other game. It's is fun and has i's moments, IMO it's just not worth the $15/month to play.

Athena 12-06-05 04:20 PM

Playing City of Hero's every waking min of the day I can!!
This game is too much fun, if there is such a thing. I have 6 heros I am working on from 5th to 16th lvl. I am stuck at my first taskforce mission right now, man those are hard. :D

Slybri 12-07-05 01:47 PM

Just got CoH the other day. Found it for 30 bucks and figured I'd give it a try for a month. Got kinda burnt out on WoW, so I'm taking a vacation from Azeroth.
It's an okay game and I can see how it was popular. But it's no where near as fun and well designed as WoW.
I don't know why, but running around in the city blasting stuff feels more like GTA than a superhero game. I never really feel like I'm in a comic book.
The music is subtle and quiet. The graphics are dark, with dirty textures and beggining to look outdated. There's no voice work at all. The power effects are less than exciting. The interface is cluttered and confusing compared to WoW. No loot except for "enhancements" which temporarily boost your power to a negligible effect. Most of them you can't use anyways.
I dunno, I guess unitl I have the ability to fly around I won;t realy feel like a superhero. You don;t even get a cape until later in the game. That's lame.
I did have fun building a few different "theme" heroes. But the powers are all kinda similar.
I'm kinda bored by the whole thing and I've only played for 3 days. Don't think I'll renew the subscription after the free 30 days.

Ringthane 12-07-05 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slybri
Just got CoH the other day. Found it for 30 bucks and figured I'd give it a try for a month. Got kinda burnt out on WoW, so I'm taking a vacation from Azeroth.
It's an okay game and I can see how it was popular. But it's no where near as fun and well designed as WoW.
I don't know why, but running around in the city blasting stuff feels more like GTA than a superhero game. I never really feel like I'm in a comic book.
The music is subtle and quiet. The graphics are dark, with dirty textures and beggining to look outdated. There's no voice work at all. The power effects are less than exciting. The interface is cluttered and confusing compared to WoW. No loot except for "enhancements" which temporarily boost your power to a negligible effect. Most of them you can't use anyways.
I dunno, I guess unitl I have the ability to fly around I won;t realy feel like a superhero. You don;t even get a cape until later in the game. That's lame.
I did have fun building a few different "theme" heroes. But the powers are all kinda similar.
I'm kinda bored by the whole thing and I've only played for 3 days. Don't think I'll renew the subscription after the free 30 days.

That's the same way I felt - I played CoH for a while and got so bored of it. There's really not much to do but "go kill this" and "go do that" for those silly enhancement things. WoW just has so much more life to it - I wish I would have gotten into it sooner.

Slybri 12-07-05 06:50 PM

Yeah, that's the thing about WoW. It's so full of character, humor, and style that any other MMO is gonna seem bland. Everything in WoW is fun. NPC's, quests, lore, the music, the art style. It's just so rich and polished. And the loot! my god, it's like playing a slot machine everytime you kill a mob. Addictive!
CoH has none of that. Even as a Comic book superhero game it takes very little from comic books. Except for the funny costumes it could be any other game. There's so much they could have taken from comic books to make it a more developed SuperHero world. Cel-shading graphics, secret identities, super vehicles, Comic-book frame cutscenes like in Max Payne, moe customized super powers. The powers dont even feel like superhero powers. No x-ray vision, you can't pick up cars and throw them, you cant fly into outer space or breathe underwater. But you can shoot fireballs at stuff. And buff and nerf. Or hit stuff with a sword or bow and arrow. It's like I'm playing Guild Wars with funny colored suits. But Guild wars is free...

darkrider01 12-08-05 01:29 PM

I was all excited about CoV. I saw it in Best Buy and my wife gave me the choice of CoD2, or CoV Collectors Edition. After thinking of how much I enjoyed Guild Wars, I selected CoV. I've been kicking myself ever since then. It is a good game, but it's soo boring when you start out. I have a Corrupter that is lvl.7, and that's pretty much as far as I've played. I'm sure the game would be much better if more people I knew played it, or anyone I knew for that matter. If you guys want, add to your friends list. Send me a PM here and let me know when you'll be online and I'll try to be on. I have characters on 2 different servers. My main character is on Virtue and the name is Minion of the Dark.

darkrider01 01-03-06 11:35 AM

Well, a buddy from Guild Wars bought City of Villains and now that I have a partner in crime :rofl, I'm enjoying some of the things it has to offer. I still believe that GW has their stuff together with map traveling and their interface. Gw is still my favorite game right now, but the lack of an expansion and a lackluster "update" has made me look at CoV a little harder.

vandalous 08-22-07 12:18 PM

Anyone still playing CoV? I just picked it up at Half-Price Books for $5 and am enjoying it tremendously. It looks dated but it's still fun to me. My main character is a Lvl 13 Fire/Fire Brute. Send me a /tell on Triumph: @Vandalous is my global name.