nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Please Help, 6800 Graphical artifacts/tearing.. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59324)

Josh09 11-04-05 06:58 AM

Please Help, 6800 Graphical artifacts/tearing..

Hi there, I just recently received a brand new Galaxy Glacier 6800 AGP (just the vanilla) and much to my disappointment I am experiencing some rather annoying graphical tearing/artifacts. On games such as Fear, Far Cry, and even the first game test on 3dmark 05, I am seeing jagged lines and pixelated triangles obscuring parts of my screen. Usually these tears are associated with shading but some characters heads have burst into giant spike balls when i walk closer. Other games such as WoW and Doom 3 run fine with no tearing so I still dont know whether it is the card.

I have read that these issues are generally related to over heating of the card's memory but the card is brand new and I havnt tried to OC or tweak it in any way shape or form.

I have tried reinstalling several driver versions from the 6,7, and 8 series but all seem to make no difference. currently using 66.93.

Tried changing aperture size, and changing between 8x and 4x AGP still no luck.

Have even reformatted windows and reinstalled but still didnt solve the issue.

My main concern here is whether I should send the card back as it may be faulty? or could it possibly be something else conflicting with the card.
Like I said, it runs games like doom 3 and the COD2 demo just fine with no tearing whatsoever.
Also my processor is only a sempron 2600+ (1G RAM) could this also be contributing to this issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I mainly want to know if I should send the card back coz perhaps the RAM in the card is faulty? Who knows but thanks to anyone who can help

Hyper s 11-04-05 11:48 AM

Re: Please Help, 6800 Graphical artifacts/tearing..

It seems your card has broken pixel or vertex pipeline. There is a small chance that it can be fixed through flashing new BIOS, or try to find broken unit with Riva Tuner.(by deactivating part of pipelines)

Josh09 11-05-05 06:21 AM

Thanks for your input Hyper, to test your theory I had a chance to try the card in a friends computer, and it worked fine! No tearing what so ever, I am relieved its not the card but that it still has issues with my computer..I tested to see if it was my RAM that was faulty but the problem still happens no matter what Ram sticks I use. I guess it has to be a motherboard or processor issue, if anyone has any confirmation on my theory that would be greatly appreciated.

Hyper s 11-05-05 09:45 AM

Then try to make your RAM timings safer. Possible AGP problems.

|MaguS| 11-05-05 11:07 AM

Sounds like your card is fubar. Sorry :(

Quick420 11-05-05 12:57 PM

Try your buudys agp card in your system,that will eliminate the agp slot as a problem.Then swap out all of your ram for your buddys that will eliminate memory as an issue,then chipset drivers....etc etc..See how easy it will be to figure out scientifically? That is how real techs solve issues....save your money dont take it to the shop(we have too many all ready :-)

Josh09 11-06-05 11:49 PM

Well I think I have found out the problem, and i believe it is my AGP port. I put my friends geforce 6200 in like you said Xaxly, and I ended up with the same results which had even intensified with the 6200 compared to my 6800.

It is weird though because my old geforce 5700 card works fine in my rig, so perhaps it is just the series 6 video cards or perhaps because both the cards use Shader Model 3.0 which is rather intense. As I said earlier, the tearing is usually associated with character shadows or heavily shaded environments like in Fear.
Anyway I thankyou all for your input and help with my problem :)

Now I guess i'm gonna have to save for a new mobo and cpu, lol the upgrading never ends!