nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Looking to Linux, any suggestions? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60180)

ClosetFanBoy 11-19-05 02:25 AM

Looking to Linux, any suggestions?

well im looking to give linux a try. i farted around with a-linux (i think they have the cool lizard on their site) having probs making a bootable cd etc. anyways im looking at this stuff and getting confused (yes ive become a slave to windows) so, in short, what is the lets say, noobie friendly, easy installable, gamer friendly linux os out there? sticking to the dual boot idea. many thx.

neo86 11-19-05 10:13 AM

Re: Looking to Linux, any suggestions?

For gaming... stick to Windows. If you're going to put the effort into getting Linux to work with most games you'll have to invest in Transgaming's monthly fee to download their Cedega software that allows you to "emulate" DirectX in Linux. If you have an ATi card don't even bother really. Their drivers, though working for the most part, are quite slow compared to Windows drivers. You should try Ubuntu for a start. I hear it's very n00b friendly.

uOpt 11-19-05 10:58 AM

I don't recommend planning to use Wine, Winex or Cedega.

Either you are happy with what games you can get Linux native binaries for or you should forget about it.

As for distributions, by now I pretty much only recommend Fedora. They came a long way since the worse versions and now restrain themself from fiddling too much. If they fire the guy maintaining the xterm package I'd be all set.

Banko 11-19-05 12:01 PM

If it is your first time I would recommend Fedora as well. I started off with Red Hat 9 like 2 or 3 years ago, then moved on to Debian, then Slackware, and my now favorite distrobution has to be Gentoo nothing is better then the portage system, the tweaking you can get with it and the overall speed.

ClosetFanBoy 11-19-05 06:29 PM

gentoo is a part of fedora? or something totally different?

Banko 11-19-05 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClosetFanBoy
gentoo is a part of fedora? or something totally different?

Umm Gentoo is a complete different distro. The only that relates to Fedora is Red Hat 9 because Fedora Release 1 is really Red Hat 10.

siorai 11-22-05 12:12 PM

Right now I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 and Cedega 5.0. The only game I've tried so far (just installed Ubuntu this weekend) is City of Villains and it works pretty much well perfectly. I can't see any difference visually or performance-wise between Windows and Linux. I think that before people start saying that you should just forget about gaming in Linux with Cedega, they should actually try it.

supra 11-22-05 09:57 PM

Dedicated Slackware user here for years. Fairly easy to install & easy to use.

NightFire 11-23-05 05:48 PM

For newb friendly, I'd recommend SimplyMEPIS. Pretty complete package there.

seeker010 12-02-05 09:08 PM

ubuntu or mandriva. fedora core is good too, I use it, but I don't find it as noob friendly as the other two.

never really got into the whole gentoo thing myself

JonathanM 12-05-05 11:53 PM

I just jumped aboard the linux bandwagon aswell. With the recommendations here and from some friends I choose the ubuntu distro.

Liking it so far... but I have much to learn. Time to read up on the forums. :)

siorai 12-06-05 12:00 AM

The Ubuntu forums are awesome. Very helpful people on there and tons of HowTo's for pretty much well everything. Even if you do have a problem, it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting it sorted out.