nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   6800gt strange results >bios gpu volt mod really work? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60205)

Player2 11-19-05 07:01 PM

6800gt strange results >bios gpu volt mod really work?

New guy here, hi to all!

Love this Forum and Site!

I have an XFX 6800GT AGP with NV5.3 HS, I did a 1.4v mod to the BIOS using NiBitor and NVflash, the result is strange as when I autotest overclocking within the driver clock speed tab, it doesnt want to O/C just leaves it at 350/1000 (stock) when I flash back to stock 1.3v it will auto test up to 484/1060...

At first I thought, well OK so it is not really using 1.4v when I mod the BIOS...or is it? It did change something! But then again, why would folks have to "hard mod" (pencil/resistor) if a BIOS mod really worked?

What is the real low down, anybody really know?

2nd:
If I need to do a "hard mod" does anyone know of a good guide for an 6800GT-AGP volt mods? I see a few for ultras-PCI-E but am afraid they are not the same as my AGP card and the pics are not really good, I can just see me messing with the wrong resistor!

Thanks for any help or comments.

john19055 11-20-05 12:02 AM

Re: 6800gt strange results >bios gpu volt mod really work?

There has been a lot of 6800Gt AGP that goes bad after raiseing the gpu voltage ,sometimes it will work fine for a month or two and then it will start haveing problems,so IMO I would not recomend raiseing the voltage,just leave it at it's default setting and overclock it,it might not go as high,but it would be better then haveing a bad card in a couple of months.

joshua7 11-20-05 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player2
when I flash back to stock 1.3v it will auto test up to 484/1060...

Really?

Player2 11-20-05 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua7
Really?

No, That was typo! Geesh! sorry should be 384!

As far as 1.4v goes I am not worried in the least, Just dont believe that you can get there from the BIOS on these cards.

Gonna need to find a hard mod.

DJB 11-20-05 10:34 PM

You can get to 1.4v by BIOS modding. However, listen to the person telling you that there are issues with it.
It is well known. 6800GTs don't like 1.4v. Three of three I have tested got less stable. After much testing, tweaking, cooling, etc. I decided it just was not worth it, as did many other folks.

DJB

Player2 11-21-05 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJB
You can get to 1.4v by BIOS modding. However, listen to the person telling you that there are issues with it.
It is well known. 6800GTs don't like 1.4v. Three of three I have tested got less stable. After much testing, tweaking, cooling, etc. I decided it just was not worth it, as did many other folks.

DJB

Hi DJB,

Thanks for the response,

It would seem as all cards are not created equal, this is a new XFX 6800GT AGP and it looks like no others (incl older XFX) that I have seen, it does not take any 1.4v BIOS mods, including its own done with the latest NiBitor and will need hard mod, even that will be "new" as all latest mods show nothing like this board... but still may apply, just don't know yet...