nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wondering if my 6600GT has packed up. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61834)

10kRaptor 12-19-05 01:25 AM

Wondering if my 6600GT has packed up.

3 Attachment(s)
I've got a Leadtek PX600GT TDH PCI-e 128MB that overlays a flashing/polygonal/blocky/regular pattern on any 3d accelerated program I run. It does the same shapes for every game.

I haven't overclocked it or anything (allthough I didn't get it new - the last guy might have), the temps ~44-60C, and it was always working fine before that (had it for about 3mo). It just stopped working - not after an upgrade or anything. Suppose I should say I'm running linux x86_64 but I've tried upgrading the drivers, downgrading them, turning settings on and off, running from boot=single (safe mode), resetting the BIOS, and anything else that i could find on the net, so I don't think it's linux. Using software acceleration the problem dissapears and I get to experience games at a snail's pace.

As I said, I don't think it's the OS/software because it was working fine before and I tried recompiling everything - Gentoo emerge -e world. I also removed the card, heatsink, cleaned it up and put it back together carefully without a difference.

System specs:

AMD 64 3200
Asus A8N-E
2x Twinmos DDR400 512M
160G Segate SATA
425W Enermax

Iv'e included screenshots of bzflag and america's army - some of the textures in AA like the sky and some walls look fine which makes me wonder if only one part of the GPU is fried - for doing textures or something.

If anyone knows what causes this I'd be glad to know.

Thanks

Kojiro 12-19-05 03:25 AM

Re: Wondering if my 6600GT has packed up.

Of course it's software related, you obviously did somthing to software when you recompiled Gentoo. Unfortunatly Linux is not like your old electronic toy where you could fix it by just taking things apart and puting it back together again. :P

This is probably a question for a Gentoo expert. I use Fedora Core, and my good old 5700 ultra is doing just fine on it. I have OCed its core from 475 to 520 on many ocasions (back on windows). It just cant be set to that fequency
on boot or else it will crash.

10kRaptor 12-19-05 05:11 AM

??? - No I dont think it's that.

mpetrovic 12-19-05 03:07 PM

Hi,

I have Leadtek 6600gt extreme version and I have artifacts when it heats up, here's the thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61769

crainger 12-19-05 06:47 PM

Best to try it in Windows and possibly on another machine. That way you can find out if its software or hardware.

10kRaptor 12-19-05 06:48 PM

Temps do not exceed ~ 60C playing America's Army at max detail settings, and all 3d programs always have the same artifacts, no crashing or stuttering (the games are kind of playable but the flashing effect is a bit hard on the eyes), no matter how hot/cold. 2d works fine. I am mainly asking if anyone has had similar (always reproduceable) artifacts like in my screenshots above, and whether you managed to fix it, or just got a new card.

I heard somewhere on the net about z-buffer errors but I am not sure about that.

I have tried another monitor and it does the same thing. Maybe I should try it in another OS/Computer.

If anyone knows what this might be, I'd be glad to hear.

Impruv 12-21-05 06:36 PM

I'm having the same exact problem as 10kRaptor but I do use windows but I'm not sure how to check temperatures and stuff; would sum1 guide me the right way as to giving you the info so you guys can help me?

Infinity666 12-21-05 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impruv
I'm having the same exact problem as 10kRaptor but I do use windows but I'm not sure how to check temperatures and stuff; would sum1 guide me the right way as to giving you the info so you guys can help me?

right click on desktop-click nvidia display-click on your monitor-this brings up nvidia panel on left find tempature seetings. post what it says