nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   NVIDIA 6200A or 6200 TC (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62320)

mikejac69 12-28-05 08:18 AM

NVIDIA 6200A or 6200 TC

I recently requested a 6200A 256 Meg AGP 8X card, however I ended up recieving a 6200 TC 64 meg PCI-E / AGP 8X card, is there much of a difference or should I return the card to get the extra memory. As far as I am aware the Turbo Cacheing function is only available on the PCI-E architecture which my computer does not support and therefore I would be getting the same card with a quarter of the memory. For info, I have currently an FX5200 128Meg AGP 8X under Linux using the 8174 drivers.

Many thanks!

(cheers) Happy New Year!(cheers)

Gentle 12-28-05 10:37 AM

Re: NVIDIA 6200A or 6200 TC

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejac69
I recently requested a 6200A 256 Meg AGP 8X card, however I ended up recieving a 6200 TC 64 meg PCI-E / AGP 8X card, is there much of a difference or should I return the card to get the extra memory. As far as I am aware the Turbo Cacheing function is only available on the PCI-E architecture which my computer does not support and therefore I would be getting the same card with a quarter of the memory. For info, I have currently an FX5200 128Meg AGP 8X under Linux using the 8174 drivers.

Many thanks!

(cheers) Happy New Year!(cheers)

Uh, I think you are confused?

If you currently are using an FX5200 AGP card, you need an AGP card to replace it.

The TurboCache video cards are PCIe *ONLY* as the functionality of the TurboCache is over the PCIe bus.

Yes, if you have received a PCIe card and only have an AGP slot, you need to return the PCIe card and get an AGP card.

PCI and PCIe are different technologies.

Gentle

mikejac69 12-28-05 11:03 AM

Yes, I am a little confused, mostly by the box itself!! Upon reception I did curse the sender for ignoring my request and sending a card that was useless to me, however, on the box it states that it is compatible PCIe / AGP 8X which seems to imply some level of backwards compatability which surprised me a great deal since I was under the impression that AGP and PCIe architecture was very different! I am planning to give it a try on Friday, logically a Pcie caed that is non comp will not allow itself to be introduced into an AGP port, my major concern is the memory as I am getting only a quarter of the memory, for a non-hardcore gamer such as myself would I see a good sys increase from a 5200 with 128M?

saturnotaku 12-28-05 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejac69
on the box it states that it is compatible PCIe / AGP 8X

The box is wrong, plain and simple. The architectures and physical connections are completely different. I find it very suspect that a manufacturer would have such an egregious error on its packaging, unless of course, the card is from a non-mainstream company.

Can you take a picture of the box and post it here?

CaptNKILL 12-28-05 11:47 AM

The box is probably a universal one used for PCI-E and AGP cards. It doesnt mean its compatible with both, it means the box contains either a PCI-E or an AGP card. The card itself is useless to you anyway, so unless you buy another youll have to get that one replaced with an AGP card.