nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weird problem with nVidia drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63163)

Mozeq 01-11-06 12:43 PM

Weird problem with nVidia drivers

Hi, I have a really weird problem with graphic driver. It seems to be working, but... 2D acceleration don't work. After reboot i have bad fps in 3D (about 60fps in ppracer), but if I reinstall the driver (the same version) the fps in 3D gets better (about 100fps in ppracer) 2D still not working. I went thru xorg.log, dmesg and there are no error messages. I'll be very grateful for any suggestion.

My configuration:

GeForce4 440MX (onboard - nforce2 chipset)
driver version 81.78 (i tried a few different versions with same result)
Fedora Core 4
kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4

netllama 01-11-06 02:19 PM

Re: Weird problem with nVidia drivers

Please generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log and the output from 'glxinfo' while this problem is present.

Thanks,
Lonni

Mozeq 01-11-06 02:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The log files:

Attachment 15557

Attachment 15558

netllama 01-11-06 03:18 PM

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "bad 2D accleration"? How are you measuring the acceleration?

Thanks,
Lonni

Mozeq 01-11-06 03:53 PM

Ok, I'll give it a try.

This is my second Fedora Core 4 installation on the same computer, so I know how the thing performed before. I'm unable to get the same performance from my current installation, and I don't understand why. I'll try to describe the symptoms, and maybe it will lighten the problem up a bit.

3D performance seems to be OK. I can play TuxRacer just fine, glxgears show a conservative average of ~500 FPS (which by itself isn't much -- my previous installation used to show something around 1500 FPS). However on 2D screen, e.g. when playing movie in mplayer, when GDM screen shows up and is redrawn, or when application window is resized, there can be seen a horizontal line dividing already rendered area from what just didn't get rendered "in time". It's just a blink of an eye -- it's not like it redraws a frame per second, but anyway, the desktop isn't that responsive as it used to be. It's just "slower" somehow. Looks to me like if 2D wasn't accelerated.
(In glxgear it looks like if the top half of wheels were rotated one or two degrees more than the bottom half.)

Thanks
Mozeq

netllama 01-11-06 04:19 PM

Have you made any BIOS changes?
Have you made any changes to your nvidia-settings configuration?

Thanks,
Lonni

Mozeq 01-11-06 04:39 PM

No.

I've only done these steps:
1. instalation of FC4
2. yum update
3. instalation of nvidia display drivers (via 'sh NVIDIA*.run')

Only difference is kernel version. It's probably not fault of nvidia drivers, but i really don't have any idea what's wrong.