nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Just stumped (first time on Linux) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63197)

NortonAntivirus 01-11-06 10:53 PM

Just stumped (first time on Linux)

1 Attachment(s)
Ok this is my first time using Linux so please bear with me.

I can not load the NVidia drivers. I downloaded them and tried to run the in the root Terminal but all I get is an X Server error and I do not know how to fix it. This is a different problem from the last X Server post because I tried to enter "init 3" in the root terminal and it did nothing. Also can someone guide me through installing the driver because NVidia's site had a very bad walk-through. I am using Desbian Linux just if it makes a difference. Remember I am new to Linux so don't count on me to know how to use this stuff.

debian_penguin 01-12-06 02:09 AM

Re: Just stumped (first time on Linux)

Hi NortonAntivirus!

Some time ago I posted a walkthrough for installing nvidia drivers under Debian. You can find it here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...440#post755440

There sould be everything you need from scratch. However, if you still need a hand, just ask!

Best,

d_p

NortonAntivirus 01-12-06 06:23 AM

Ok I got it to run but now it will not connect to NVidia's site and download something it needs. It did still install it but I cannot change the resolution to more than 640 X 480. And I cannot stand such a low res. >:P I now have a NVidia X Server Stettings program in my system tools but it helps very little of making the res better......

debian_penguin 01-12-06 06:46 AM

Hi!

Could you please post some of your system characteristics, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Maybe we can gather some useful informations there. I also ask you if you can post the output of the command "glxinfo".

Thank you,

best,
d_p

debian_penguin 01-12-06 06:55 AM

Oh, well, post also the file: /var/log/nvidia-installer.log, just to see if something went wrong during installation.

Thank you,

d_p

netllama 01-12-06 11:47 AM

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log

Thanks,
Lonni

NortonAntivirus 01-12-06 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok here is the deal.... I could not get the nVidia bug report because there was not any "bug". What I found out was it looks on the web for my kernal but does not find any data so it builds one on its own.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log were not their at all.

I have enclosed the installer log and the glxinfo data.

BTW, thanks for helping me out.

netllama 01-12-06 05:16 PM

I need you to generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log if you'd like further assistance with this issue, regardless of whether you believe there is a bug.

Thanks,
Lonni

NortonAntivirus 01-12-06 05:32 PM

I do not know how to gennerate one. When I first had errors with the program it told me it was gennerating an error report but because it installs it it does not create one.

netllama 01-12-06 05:40 PM

Per the NVIDIA driver README, you can generate a bug report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

Thanks,
Lonni

NortonAntivirus 01-12-06 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go the nVidia Error report

netllama 01-12-06 07:10 PM

According to your bug report, 800x600 is the largest validated mode for your CRT, and that is what was in use when you generated the bug report. Also, your X configuration is requesting 800x600.

Are you stating that you're only getting 640x480 even though X thinks you're getting 800x600? Or, did you want something greater than 800x600?

-Lonni