nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NFORCE driver install on UBUNTU - Kernel trouble (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63319)

cafevincent 01-14-06 07:53 AM

NFORCE driver install on UBUNTU - Kernel trouble

Could someone tell me how to proceed? I received the following error message during the nForce driver (v1.0-0310) installation:

Code:

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for you kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.

mo_x 01-14-06 09:40 AM

Re: NFORCE driver install on UBUNTU - Kernel trouble

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

cafevincent 01-15-06 05:36 AM

Thanks for the help, I did that and now I ended up with a new error message, do you think its OK to continue installation or what should I do?

Code:

gcc-version-check failed:

./nvsound/main/conftest.sh: line 9: cc: command not found
Could not compile gcc-version-check.c

If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check, select "No" to continue installation. Otherwise, select "yes" to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation. Abort now?

zander 01-15-06 07:09 AM

You need to install gcc and may be missing other development tools, as well; try `sudo apt-get install gcc libc6-dev make` and retry the installation.

mo_x 01-15-06 07:14 AM

Execute the following command to install the necessary build tools and gcc-3.4. Ubuntu 5.10 uses gcc-4.0 by default but the kernel is compiled with 3.4.
Code:

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-3.4
Now run the installer with the following commands.
Code:

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4
sudo sh NFORCE....

Sound and ethernet work for my Gigabyte k8nf-9 nforce4 motherboard with the snd-intel8x0 and forcedeth modules provided with the Ubuntu kernel. Don't they work for you?

cafevincent 01-15-06 12:54 PM

YES! I got it installed. Tho I can't hear any sound yet. I didn't install network drivers because both NICs were autodetected during Ubuntu install. What can I do to enable sound?

netllama 01-15-06 01:06 PM

Did you make the changes in the ReleaseNotes.html? Have you tried running nvmixer?

If so, please generate and post an nforce-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni

mo_x 01-15-06 02:32 PM

Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d, for example:
Code:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nvsound
Put the following text in it:
Code:

alias sound-slot-0 nvsound
alias snd-intel8x0 off
alias i810_audio off

The nvsound module is for OSS so make sure your applications use OSS and not ALSA.