nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   6800 Prices (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63951)

seeker 01-27-06 03:09 AM

6800 Prices

I've always been on the trailing edge of technology, when it comes to video cards. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the PriceGrabber links at the top of the forum, lists the 6800 AGP significantly higher in price than the 6800GS, since it only has half of the memory?

superklye 01-27-06 03:23 AM

Re: 6800 Prices

Collector's item?

I dunno...the AGP 6800U's were going for ridiculous amounts a few months ago, too...

Fathertime36 01-27-06 09:07 AM

I think it is simple, the demand outweigh the supply, a limited selection of top end agp vga solutions availible, kind of like buying pc100 ram in a way, it is old and comes no where close to ddr/pc3200, but yet if you check the prices it is more exspensive mb per mb because it is obsolete and no longer mass produced, hense supply&demand=people getting raped...lol

seeker 01-27-06 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathertime36
I think it is simple, the demand outweigh the supply, a limited selection of top end agp vga solutions availible, kind of like buying pc100 ram in a way, it is old and comes no where close to ddr/pc3200, but yet if you check the prices it is more exspensive mb per mb because it is obsolete and no longer mass produced, hense supply&demand=people getting raped...lol

If we were talking about what appears to be the pinnacle of AGP, I would understand the supply/demand situation, but the 6800 doesn't appear to be the pinnacle.

I realize that AGP is going by the wayside, but I stay with it because there is no such thing as a PCIe board that has sufficient PCI slots. I can understand that a gamer might prefer this, but a anyone that needs and expects their computer to be able to do anything, they need PCI slots.

Medion 01-27-06 11:04 PM

Quote:

I realize that AGP is going by the wayside, but I stay with it because there is no such thing as a PCIe board that has sufficient PCI slots. I can understand that a gamer might prefer this, but a anyone that needs and expects their computer to be able to do anything, they need PCI slots.
Out of curiousity, how many PCI slots do you need, and how many do you currently use?

I don't use any in my current system, and I have 3 PCI slots. I could use one for a sound card eventually. If I saw the need for a dedicated RAID controller, that would take a second one I suppose.

seeker 01-27-06 11:35 PM

I have 5 slots, with 3 filled with cards (sound, Wifi and TV) 1 occupied with the midi/game port, which leaves 1 vacant, and I'm about to fill that, but I haven't decided with exactly what yet. If they made a mobo with more slots, I'd buy it.

Fathertime36 01-28-06 03:30 AM

I personally have two of my three pci slots occupied, one for a tv-tuner card and one for my X-Fi sound card......I don't really subscribe to using an Sli configuration even though my mobo supports it and I did previously actually had 2 7800gt's, I'am very content with the performance I' am currently getting from a single card solution and I'am trying to scrap together about $1500 for an Opteron 280/940 Italy, my cpu is my system weakest link right now so I figure that is where I should spend the money.

seeker010 01-28-06 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker
I have 5 slots, with 3 filled with cards (sound, Wifi and TV) 1 occupied with the midi/game port, which leaves 1 vacant, and I'm about to fill that, but I haven't decided with exactly what yet. If they made a mobo with more slots, I'd buy it.

same here!!
every time I read your posts I keep thinking that you're me.:p