nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   UT2K4 Wont Run on 64 OS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64234)

carlos 02-01-06 08:01 PM

UT2K4 Wont Run on 64 OS

I freshly installed my Debian OS on my new AMD 64 bi CPU. I decided I would select also to install the AMD64 version of Debian which is up and working fine. Nvidia drivers installed and run fine, sound is nice and loud so basically I have no problems with the OS in itself.

I then threw in my UT2K4 DVD ROM and ran the "linux-installer.sh" once the disk is mounted. It installed fine and said it was complete and asked if I wanted to run the application. I installed the game with all default settings and it's located in /usr/local/games/ut2004/.

Now when I decided to run the game, nothing happens so I ran the command from shell to see why I get no response and this is what I see....

Code:

carlos@gamebox:~$ ut2004
./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

On a side note, I thought this may be a problem since I am running a 64 bit OS. I reformatted and installed Debian i386 (32 bit) and made sure everything was working and then ran the installer as I did above and the game ran fine. I had no sound but atleast the game ran and I could play. I then again installed Debian 64 and here we are...lost & confused.

Please help.

gnutux 02-01-06 08:20 PM

Re: UT2K4 Wont Run on 64 OS

you need to install a compat library since libstdc++.so.5 is an old version of the stdc++ library.

It's mostly not because of 64-bit fault.

gnutux

carlos 02-01-06 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnutux
you need to install a compat library since libstdc++.so.5 is an old version of the stdc++ library.

It's mostly not because of 64-bit fault.

gnutux

I guess I don't know where to find or how to install the "libstdc++.so.5. Can you point me in the right direction?

gnutux 02-01-06 09:47 PM

try apt-get install libstdc

I dunno, I don't have Debian. I use SuSE Linux.

gnutux

wnd 02-02-06 04:42 PM

Uh, did I miss something? Why are you not using native 64-bit binaries?

See http://icculus.org/. Although they don't advertise it, amd64 binaries are included (at least) in the new release and the hotfix.

carlos 02-02-06 08:03 PM

I installed "libstdc" and it works now.

What do you mean use 64-bit binaries? Can't I just install the game from my retail disk and run it on my 64-bit OS? It seems to be working now except for no sound.

wnd 02-03-06 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos
What do you mean use 64-bit binaries? Can't I just install the game from my retail disk and run it on my 64-bit OS? It seems to be working now except for no sound.

You can, but then you may run into minor issues like yours. If you install and run native 64-bit binary, it is more likely that you already have all the neccessary libraries installed. Not to mention that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you can run your games in native 64-bit binaries. :-)

carlos 02-03-06 12:49 PM

My game was installed under /usr/local/games/ut2004. I have no clue how to install the latest version of the patch and have read the README.txt and searched google.

The patch is located here:

Code:

carlos@gamebox:~$ cd Desktop/
carlos@gamebox:~/Desktop$ ls
ut2004-lnxpatch3355.tar.bz2

I am trying to know how to extract this file or unzip it and then what is the command process for applying the patch.

Thanks for any assistance.

whig 02-03-06 04:20 PM

Okay so that is a bzip2 file so we use the -j option to tar:

Code:

tar -jtf ut2004-lnxpatch3355.tar.bz2
which will list the contents of the archive. Change to the correct directory so the archive's files will extract to the right places and

Code:

tar -jxf ut2004-lnxpatch3355.tar.bz2

carlos 02-03-06 06:06 PM

I get the following error...

Code:

gamebox:/home/carlos/Desktop# tar -jtf ut2004-lnxpatch3355.tar.bz2
tar: bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I don't understand.

carlos 02-03-06 07:21 PM

I needed "bzip2" installed. I fixed it. I know have extracted the file to /home/carlos/Desktop/UT2004-Patch

What is the command to copy the files over and overwrite the old files they're replacing in /usr/local/games/ut2004/ ?

whig 02-03-06 09:14 PM

It would be safer to use the extraction method above. If you must copy, use the -r option to "cp". Careful with directories and names.