nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Sound (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64442)

seeker 02-06-06 12:57 AM

Sound

Another thing that I can't remember how to do is to enable the sound system on SuSe 9.2. I've had this problem before, and solved it, but the cogs of my memory are getting rusty. Does anyone have any "oil"? I think that I have it configured properly in YaST, but something is still awry.

seeker 02-06-06 03:05 AM

Re: Sound

I managed to shift gears, and remembered that I only had sound when logged in as root before, and that is where I stand now. I assume that this has something to do with some kind of permissions, but I already have my username set with every kind of permission that I could find. Obviously, I'm missing something, anyone know what?

whig 02-06-06 03:30 AM

I don't know Suse but shouldn't users belong in the audio group? Type groups and see what comes out. After being added to a group log back in.

seeker 02-06-06 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whig
I don't know Suse but shouldn't users belong in the audio group? Type groups and see what comes out. After being added to a group log back in.

I have no idea of what you mean by "type groups". I did that in a terminal and the run box and got nowhere. I did find Kuser and did what appeared to be adding audio to the root group, which my username is part of, but this had not effect either.

Quote:

I have no idea of what you mean by "type groups". I did that in a terminal and the run box and got nowhere. I did find Kuser and did what appeared to be adding audio to the root group, which my username is part of, but this had not effect either.

Quote:

whig 02-06-06 11:06 PM

Like this...
Code:

$ groups
wheel floppy audio cdrom video games cdrw users

(done on a different distribution).

seeker 02-06-06 11:21 PM

Quote:

Like this...
Code:

$ groups
wheel floppy audio cdrom video games cdrw users

(done on a different distribution).

I had left the (s) off of groups, so of course it worked better with it. Oddly, the only thing that it responded with was (audio). I thought that this was strange because I thought that I had made the username a member of much more than this. Worse is the fact, that even though it shows me being a part of the audio group, I still have no sound on the user desktop. There must be something more.

seeker 02-07-06 02:34 AM

After finishing the update, the user sound began working. I have no idea of what it did, but since it works, I guess that it doesn't matter. Thanks.

gnutux 02-12-06 11:27 AM

be sure you get this running each time:
Quote:

sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
gnutux