nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   quake3 brightness (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6464)

Petersen 01-20-03 05:19 AM

quake3 brightness

Hi,

Not a frequent quake3 player, but anyway:

I have some major problem with quake3 brightness, and my monitor is one which is rather dark.

Quake3 gives me a way too dark screen such that playing is impossible! Of course, I can increase "r_gamma", but it looks like any value higher than 3 is ignored.

Moreover, xgamma is no real help.
I tried a script (comparable to my successful scripts for quakeworld and quake2) which sets xgamma -gamma 5 before the game is started and which resets gamma via "xgamma -gamma 1" after the game has been closed.

BUT:
xgamma -gamma 5
doesn't help, because any change of a game level or even entering the first level (when starting a game) resets gamma to the value of "r_gamma" which is (see above) at a maximum of "3".

The only way I can play quake3 is by using one of these two methods:

either

1)
launching quake3
and then switching to a text console and entering "xgamma -gamma 5"
this does help, but still the gamma value is reset as soon as a new level starts!

or

2)
integrating a while loop in the game script which changes xgamma every 20 seconds or so to a higher value than 3, like:
while true ; do xgamma -gamma 5 ; done &

The second method allows for having fast enough a sufficiently bright game.

But is there no better method, command, trick?
And do others also experience a gamma before each new match?

I can live with that while loop above, but it is not an ideal solution and it increases CPU load.

Under windows, there is absolutely no problem with game brightness, since there is a tool called "powerstrip" which permits changing gamma via keyboard shortcuts while INSIDE THE GAME! Great!

Any good ideas?
thanks
Petersen

nvidia driver 1.0-4191
latest quake3 version

bwkaz 01-20-03 08:43 AM

You can decrease CPU usage with something like:

while true ; do xgamma -gamma 5 ; sleep 5 ; done &

This will only run the xgamma once every five seconds, instead of constantly, which should help the CPU load.

But no, I don't know of any good way to make it work properly. I'm sure there's a Q3 config file somewhere -- is there a way to disable the GAMMA extension (or whatever it's called...) in there? That way, Q3 might use software gamma or whatever, and your xgamma value may not be overwritten...

Petersen 01-20-03 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bwkaz
You can decrease CPU usage with something like:

while true ; do xgamma -gamma 5 ; sleep 5 ; done &

This will only run the xgamma once every five seconds, instead of constantly, which should help the CPU load.

But no, I don't know of any good way to make it work properly. I'm sure there's a Q3 config file somewhere -- is there a way to disable the GAMMA extension (or whatever it's called...) in there? That way, Q3 might use software gamma or whatever, and your xgamma value may not be overwritten...

Thanks for answering, but... ;-)
Since I was in a hurry when writing my article, I made some mistake, the while loop line I use actually already includes a "sleep" command!

This is what it looks like:
while true ; do sleep 20 && xgamma -gamma 5 ; done &

Of course, you couldn't know that. :)

Well, so far I tried all I could, disabling hwgamma, enabling it, dis-/enabling external gamma control etc.

But please, if someone else has an idea, tell me/us about it.

Regards
Petersen