nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Red Hat 8 and nvidia drivers problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6472)

mb[DK] 01-20-03 09:29 AM

Red Hat 8 and nvidia drivers problem

Hello, I've managed to compile the drivers using both src.rpm and tar.gz and both compile just fine, they seem to install just fine.

When I make the changes to XFREE86.conf and restart X, nothing happends, the screen turns black, and then blinks now and them, like its supposed to, but the splashscreen never comes on, and it just stops responding, I have to reboot the system to get back into Linux.

I did compile it the right way, I made the correct changes to XFREE86.conf.
I added this line to modules.conf:
alias char-major-195 nvidia
But the module doesnt load automatically, I have to load it manually, but that doesnt help any.
After loading the module, I check my agp status, and it says disabled.

My specs: xp2000 cpu, Geforce3 ti500. Via kt333 chipset, Red hat 8 Kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0.

Any ideas?

jnd3 01-20-03 10:10 AM

What does your device section in your XF86 config look like? Would you post it, please? Did you remember to remove the line that said 'load "dri"'? And you did install the GLX driver as well, right?

I've got a similar setup (GF2 instead of GF3) working with the older 3123 drivers. I was able to install the 4191 drivers, but they rotted.

Cheers,
JND

mb[DK] 01-20-03 10:27 AM

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
# Load "dri"
Load "type1"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
# no known options
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 3 (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA GeForce 3 (generic)"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 3 (generic)"
# Option "NvAGP" "3"
#BusID
EndSection

------------------------------------------------
Please note that not one of the NvAGP settings worked for me.

And when I look through the XFREE86 logs, everything looks ok, no errors or warnings at all.

bwkaz 01-20-03 11:45 AM

What about the dmesg or /var/log/messages logs, anything in either of those that may be relevant?

mb[DK] 01-20-03 12:30 PM

dmesg:
0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4191 Mon Dec 9 11:49:01 PST 2002

And thats when I load it manually, it doesnt seem to load automatically, or maybe it isnt supposed to, until I start X....?

log/messages, reveal nothing.

bwkaz 01-20-03 02:45 PM

RH8 uses devfs. Therefore, your alias (char-major-195) will not autoload the nvidia.o (you are using 4191, right?) module when it's needed.

No, the module is not supposed to load until you try to start X, but if you have devfs running, that alias won't even load it then. Try changing the alias to alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia, and that should make it load when you start X. However, if you're still seeing problems after you manually modprobe nvidia, then you'll probably see them after changing the alias...

Hmmm...

Well, try it anyway, but if it still doesn't work, I won't be surprised...

mb[DK] 01-20-03 03:25 PM

I changed my modules.conf, but it didn't help, the module just failed to load.
And yes X froze on me, when I loaded it manually.

I'm sick and tired of this Nvida Vs. Red Hat crap. This was the last nvidia board I ever bought. Tomorrow I'm switching to Yoper, maybe that will help, if that fails, I'm going to find someone who will trade my ti500 for a Radeon 8500 or something similar.

Thanks for your help anyway, I hope someone comes up with the solution before tomorrow, otherwise its adios Red Hat.

bwkaz 01-20-03 03:48 PM

"the module failed to load"

Umm... what did you do? Anything in dmesg? I fail to see why it would load manually, yet not when the alias is there... Is there a line in /etc/devfsd.conf looking like LOOKUP .* AUTOLOAD? With the new alias, does modprobe /dev/nvidia0 work?

mb[DK] 01-20-03 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bwkaz
"the module failed to load"

Umm... what did you do? Anything in dmesg? I fail to see why it would load manually, yet not when the alias is there... Is there a line in /etc/devfsd.conf looking like LOOKUP .* AUTOLOAD? With the new alias, does modprobe /dev/nvidia0 work?

Yes the modules loads with /dev/nvidia0, with warnings, but it loads.

But the my main concern isnt the fact that it fails to load with X, but the fact that X seems to freeze when I use the module.
No warnings, it just blinks like its supposed to do, when its probing, except it never finishes, and loads gnome2. And I can't get out of it again, I have to reset my PC.

bwkaz 01-20-03 06:12 PM

Hmmm... Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?

What about Alt-SysRq-K? (kill everything on the current console)

husfeldt 01-21-03 01:43 AM

Same problem - system freeze (VIA chipset)

I have the same problem RH8 and kernel 2.4.8-18 and a new VIA chipset with AGP8 support (That is why I bought this).

When I start X the system freezes still in text mode with random characters all over - I cannot event telnet/ssh to the system after this I have to do a hard reboot.

Every thing looks fine in the XFree log even with debug level 5 nothing seems wrong.
I am sure I am using the right RPMs for my kernel, and I am sure that my XConfig is also rightt removed the "GLcore" and also "glx" and changed driver to "nvidia"..
It looks like there is a problem with VIA chipset and all/some GForce cards..
I have a TI-42000 (with AGP8 support).

jnd3 01-21-03 08:58 AM

Re: Same problem - system freeze (VIA chipset)

Quote:

Originally posted by husfeldt
I have the same problem RH8 and kernel 2.4.8-18 and a new VIA chipset with AGP8 support (That is why I bought this).

When I start X the system freezes still in text mode with random characters all over - I cannot event telnet/ssh to the system after this I have to do a hard reboot.

Every thing looks fine in the XFree log even with debug level 5 nothing seems wrong.
I am sure I am using the right RPMs for my kernel, and I am sure that my XConfig is also rightt removed the "GLcore" and also "glx" and changed driver to "nvidia"..
It looks like there is a problem with VIA chipset and all/some GForce cards..
I have a TI-42000 (with AGP8 support).

Have you tried dropping back to AGP4x in your BIOS? And I'm assuming it's a typo that you removed "glx" from your XF86Config file (it should be "dri" that's removed..."glx" needs to be in there). What resolution are you trying to use?

Cheers,
JND