nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unofficial nVidia HOWTO [RPM version] (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=648)

Rob C. 08-12-02 08:00 AM

Unofficial nVidia HOWTO [RPM version]

I am no expert but with the help of some great people in this forum I was able to get up and running. My one complaint would be the information is spread out and possibly hard for some to find. Hopefully this general method will bring others success.

The first mistake I made was downloading the wrong NVIDIA_kernel package. Luckily nVidia created a script to help you get the proper kernel package. Download this before downloading anything else and save yourself some time.

NVchooser.sh

I assume you now have the proper NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX files. Are you upgrading or doing a new install?

rpm -q NVIDIA_kernel

If you are upgrading you must blow out the old... nVidia reports an issue in the script that deletes files that shouldn't be if you use rpm -e so they recommend rpm -Uvh.

Upgrading
rpm -Uvh NVIDIA_kernel.version.rpm
rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX.version.rpm
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX.version.rpm

First Install
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel.version.rpm
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX.version.rpm

Some may argue this step is not needed but it is what worked for me. I mainly did this step because my screen wasn't properly aligned and xvidtune wasn't helping... This should make your config more compatible so I would include this step in your install.

XFree86 -configure

It will spit out a config to /root/XF86Config.new

***NOTE I have a USB keyboard and mouse and it didn't work with this new config so I copied the stuff from my old and added to this new config.
Delete the old configs
rm /etc/X11/XF86Config*
Then move over the new one.
mv /root/XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Now to edit your config.
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Edit out the following [Module section]
Load "GLcore"# OpenGL support
Load "dri"# Direct rendering infrastructure
Add the following [Module section]
Load "glx"
In the nVidia instructions it instructs you to remove some drivers and add "nvidia" as the driver. If you used the -configure command above it will all be done for you. However you can still edit your Modes and depth.

Here is an example...
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
Monitor "Envision"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Ok now you are done and you can startx..
If you have problems you have a few options.
You can download another script meant to test your setup.
nv_check.sh
Check your versions
$glxinfo
Test it out
$glxgears
Also you can search the forums... all this information is derived from content in these forums.. :D

Enjoy and Good Luck!

Rob C. 08-12-02 12:29 PM

Thank you Moderator :D

Phlanx 08-13-02 04:01 AM

But what if $visitor likes to know how to build the sources? :rolleyes:

Rob C. 08-13-02 10:06 AM

Well this is geared for people looking to use the RPM(As the title clearly states). You are welcome to draw up a plan for the successfully installing the driver with the source packages.

Phlanx 08-14-02 04:23 AM

true.
OK, here it comes:

wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_4....0-2960.tar.gz
tar -zxf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz
cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960; make all

wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_4....0-2960.tar.gz
tar -zxf NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz
cd NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960; make all

:rolleyes:

Thunderbird 08-15-02 02:47 AM

That still isn't enough for compiling from source. Most people don't have the kernel headers installed or they get various other errors. (unresolved symbols, modversions.h ...)

For the use of source packages make sure you install the kernel-headers for your distro. If you get unresolved symbols it means you didn't use the headers designed for your kernel version.
If you get a modeversions.h error the kernel headers likely aren't installed. Look on the cd of your distro (or in case of debian: apt-cache search kernel-headers) for the kernel package you need. If you don't know the kernel version/name find it using "uname -r".
On most rpm based distros the needed kernel package is called (I think): kernel-headers(version).rpm

Rob C. 08-15-02 10:02 AM

Thunderbird,

Phlanx is just trying to push his method because he dislikes RPM installation which is fine.. what is sad is he was trying to interfere with what I was doing and then he posts sub-standard and very lacking instructions. So it is obvious he was trying to start trouble. If he really wanted to help he would have been more thorough.

Phlanx 08-16-02 03:28 AM

"So it is obvious he was trying to start trouble."
wut?
Ok I'm leaving this forum

:mad:

kaarelcool 08-20-02 08:15 AM

Hi!

I'm using Mandrake 8.2 and had some problems,installing my
Geforce4 Ti4200 in.

1) The program called NVchooser.sh doesn't work in my computer.

2) The log file where I can look wich Xf86config file Linux is using(location was written in Nvidia readme) doesn't exist.

3) Can I use the Example file(Xf86configexpample) that comes with Detanators if I just change my monitor specifications? And
do I have to rename it to Xf86config or xf86config-4(the new one)

Anyway I really need some help and answers.

Thanks.

Thunderbird 08-20-02 11:19 AM

1) To run that nvchooser stuff you need to do: sh NVChooser.sh in a console.

2) The drivers default to (/etc/X11/)XF86Config-4 if that doesn't exist it looks for XF86Config in that dir. (if that doesn't exist it looks in various other places but it is there) If you really want the logfile it is in /var/log it will be called something like xfree86.0.log

3) You can't use the example XF86Config file from the drivers because that one isn't meant for your system. The most important thing that isn't for your system are the monitor settings and some other things. So using it can be dangerous. Just edit your current XF86Config-4 file.

kaarelcool 08-21-02 02:11 AM

Thank you Thunderbird it was very clear and nice answer!!!

I'm trying again at the moment...

kaarelcool 08-21-02 02:20 AM

One more question>>> If I change Hertz settings in xfconfig86-4
file then after restart it all works??(better refresh rate)
And if my monitor is 1024*768 100HZ what should be vertical
and horisontal Hz-s.Hope you can understand what I mean...