nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   help! looking for correct driver to install (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=652)

denisepoll 08-12-02 09:22 AM

help! looking for correct driver to install

I'm running RedHat 7.1 and I need to upgrade the kernel to 2.4.9-31. My video card is a nVidia GeForce4 MX 420. I checked the following site http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux and I do not see an RPM for rh 7.1 and kernel 2.4.9-31. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Denise

Thunderbird 08-12-02 10:03 AM

If there's no rpm you need the source rpms (src.rpm) or the tarball version.

Build rpms from the src.rpm using: rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm.
The rpms will be placed in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

denisepoll 08-12-02 12:25 PM

Thunderbird,

I downloaded rpm NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm but when I tried to build it, I got a listing of the syntax for rpm instead. I'm a newbie and this is the 1st time I'm having trouble with rpm's.

Is --rebuilddb the same as --rebuild? So I would type rpm --rebuilddb NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm?

Here is what the help is showing for rpm:
rpm {--rebuilddb} [--rcfile <file>] [--dbpath <dir>]

Again, thanks in advance.

Denise

Thunderbird 08-12-02 02:08 PM

No it really is rpm --rebuild. Make sure you have the rpm build packages installed. (not on an rh based distro here so I can't check the package name)

denisepoll 08-12-02 04:01 PM

Thunderbird,

Thanks for your reply. I found the package (rpm-build on rh) and installed it from the CD. Now when I try to build the rpm's from the source I'm getting errors like the following:
#error to build against currently running kernel
install: cannot stat 'NVdriver': no such file or directory
RPM build errors:
bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.82603(%install)

What could I have done wrong?

Phlanx 08-13-02 04:20 AM

Nah... Nvidia can't build RPM's. Every single person gets troubles with RPM. Download the tarballz
unpack with
tar -zxvf $tarfile.tar.gz
then do
cd $tarfile
(mind, no tar.gz prefix)
make install
done.

TheOneKEA 08-13-02 06:42 AM

If you use devfs the install may fail if you configured devfsd to create nvidia* device nodes when a lookup for them occurs.

BTW, did nVidia never mention when they would add devfs support to their code?

Thunderbird 08-13-02 07:06 AM

Phlanx using src.rpms you get exactly the same kernel module as using tar.gz. An src.rpm contains the standard tar.gz file and a spec file. That spec file contains the instructions for building the rpm.

denisepoll 08-13-02 07:43 AM

Phlanx,

I tried the .tar.gz file even though Thunderbird said the .src will work. I'm getting the same errors, #error to build against currently running kernel and some others that I didn't see before. At this point I do not know how to resolve this or why it's happening.

Also, I didn't manually configure devfsd and I don't know what it is. Maybe I should reload rh and start over? Would that be best?

Denise

denisepoll 08-13-02 07:56 AM

Hi all,

I read another thread and it said that in order to rebuild rpm's, the kernel-source and the same version of gcc that the kernel was built from is needed. I will try that and see what happens. Hopefully, I will be able to update with my success.

Thanks again!

Phlanx 08-13-02 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thunderbird
Phlanx using src.rpms you get exactly the same kernel module as using tar.gz. (..)
Yeah.. I thought so too, but tell that to my Linux box :rolleyes:

Denise, I got my drivers working after upgrading to 7.3. But I know that's a little depreciated.. :-/
But it will give you hope..

good luck..

denisepoll 08-13-02 09:03 AM

Everything worked out!!!

After getting the gcc & cpp dependency issues out of the way I was able to install the kernel source. I then did the --rebuild of the .src to get the rpm needed for my new kernel and installed it. I ran startx and it worked so then I changed /etc/inittab to start X on startup, rebooted and everything is working. What a challenge for a newbie.

Thank you all for your help!

Denise