nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What happens when Prime95 fails? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65269)

Treason 02-21-06 07:15 PM

What happens when Prime95 fails?

I'm testing my A64 3200+ Winchester + Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 with 2x 1 gb CL3 3-3-8 PC3200 Kingston ValueRam.

I keep hearing about Prime95 and how everyone uses it to stress-test their overclocked environment.

So far I'm running at 240 MHz FSB (2.4 GHz) at stock voltage and CPU-Z reports the ram running at 2.5-2-2-5 which to me as an overlocking n00b, is way out of spec! I dare not push it any further sice I'm hitting 48C on the stock heatsink.

I've been running Prime95 on and off for a few hours here and there for the past three days and it's going over these iterations of primality tests. What exactly am I supposed to see if it doesn't like something going on?

CaptNKILL 02-21-06 07:22 PM

Re: What happens when Prime95 fails?

Itl say it detected an error or something right in the main window. Or in an extreme case, your system will overheat and crash :p

lee63 02-21-06 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treason
I'm testing my A64 3200+ Winchester + Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 with 2x 1 gb CL3 3-3-8 PC3200 Kingston ValueRam.

I keep hearing about Prime95 and how everyone uses it to stress-test their overclocked environment.

So far I'm running at 240 MHz FSB (2.4 GHz) at stock voltage and CPU-Z reports the ram running at 2.5-2-2-5 which to me as an overlocking n00b, is way out of spec! I dare not push it any further sice I'm hitting 48C on the stock heatsink.

I've been running Prime95 on and off for a few hours here and there for the past three days and it's going over these iterations of primality tests. What exactly am I supposed to see if it doesn't like something going on?

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 is the one I get, oh and hardware failure to:(

Treason 02-22-06 01:56 AM

Thanks guys. I will push this Winchester some more then. Been running 8 hours straight and no errors. I'll try 250 MHz FSB.

Superfly 02-22-06 09:19 AM

Think im gonna try for a higher O/C tonight myself.

watever 02-23-06 05:00 AM

Do u guys know what exactly the errors mean? Ive heard that some mean the ram is too oc'ed to high, and others the cpu.

rflair 02-23-06 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watever
Do u guys know what exactly the errors mean? Ive heard that some mean the ram is too oc'ed to high, and others the cpu.

If you run the standard torture test in Prime95 you get a mix of CPU and RAM stress test, Prime is about 95% CPU though, I would use Memtest to check the RAM.

Treason 02-24-06 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rflair
If you run the standard torture test in Prime95 you get a mix of CPU and RAM stress test, Prime is about 95% CPU though, I would use Memtest to check the RAM.

In that case my maximum before Prime95 failure was a clockspeed of 2.42 GHz. Didn't matter if I relaxed the ram timings or increased voltage to the ram, the absolute threshold was 242 MHz FSB. Maybe I could try increasing the CPU voltage?

There's no HTT divider on the Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0, so I can only do 1:1 ratio.

Superfly 02-24-06 05:24 AM

Quote:

In that case my maximum before Prime95 failure was a clockspeed of 2.42 GHz. Didn't matter if I relaxed the ram timings or increased voltage to the ram, the absolute threshold was 242 MHz FSB. Maybe I could try increasing the CPU voltage?

Yes there is an HTT divider - its under CPU config in the bios.

instead on 1x, 2x, etc etc its listed as speeds ie: 800, 1000 etc etc

rflair 02-24-06 09:31 AM

Quote:

Actually first thing I would do is run Memtest before Prime95, once you've found what point your memory is stable at I would then move on to Prime95 to test the CPU.

It takes a little work and some math, since most AMD64 motherboards allow a great amount of configurabilty, from divders to multipliers and voltage. So in the end you may end up with a 1:1 ratio of RAM speed to FSB, but most likely your RAM will run a divider, which is just fine.

jolle 02-25-06 04:10 PM

The "Blend" test in "Torture test" is acctually testing more RAM them CPU, most of the time not maxing out the CPU but hogging pretty much all the RAM.
You got 3 tests that stress different things, sais what next to them.