nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Possibe bug in the i82555 PHY Gigabit Ethernet driver (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65865)

geoka 03-06-06 12:16 PM

Possibe bug in the i82555 PHY Gigabit Ethernet driver

Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E (Nforce3) with integrated i82555 PHY Gigabit Ethernet interface.
System: Linux 2.6.15-3 on Debian Sid.
Nvidia driver package used: NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1.run

The installation: the motherboard is installed in the NFS server, the client is connected to the Gigabit Ethernet interface. NFS server software used is nfs-kernel-server version 1:1.0.7-3 (Debian Sid).

The problem: file corruption occuring when copying files from the NFS server by the client. There's no corruption then the client copies files to the same server, only then copying from the server. The corruption is not random; several copies of same file result in identically corrupted files (yes, I did umount shares and restart the server to make sure no cached version of the file gets in the way).

Steps taken to solve the problem: connecting the client to an add-on Realtek 8139 Fast Ethernet card solved the problem.

Uninstalling nfs-kernel-server and replacing it with nfs-user-server also solves the problem, which leads me to think that it is a bug in the Nvidia driver.

netllama 03-06-06 12:20 PM

Re: Possibe bug in the i82555 PHY Gigabit Ethernet driver

What kind of files are you copying?
Do you have multiple systems where you are copying files from the NFS server where this problem reproduces?
Does this reproduce with the latest forcedeth driver?

Additionally, please generate and post an nforce-bug-report.log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni

geoka 03-06-06 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
What kind of files are you copying?

mpeg2 (VOB files), text files, tgz tarballs...

Quote:

Do you have multiple systems where you are copying files from the NFS server where this problem reproduces?
Yes, I also hooked up a notebook to this same interface (but the notebook has a FastEthernet controller). The problem persisted.

Quote:

Does this reproduce with the latest forcedeth driver?
Where do I get one? :) I thought NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1.run was the latest and greatest :).

Quote:

Additionally, please generate and post an nforce-bug-report.log for review.
How do I generate one?

netllama 03-06-06 01:05 PM

The NFORCE driver is the binary 'nvnet' driver. The forcedeth driver is the open source in-kernel driver. They both support the NIC on nForce motherboards.

A bug report can be generated by running nforce-bug-report.sh as root.

Also, please detail your network topology.

Thanks,
Lonni

geoka 03-07-06 03:42 PM

I just tried the forcedeth driver, it works without a glitch! I think I'll stick to it.

I cannot run nforce-bug-report.sh at the moment, I'll try to do it later and post the output.

My network topology is two PC's connected with a "null-modem" Ethernet cable, Gigabit ports at both ends. The nfs-server computer has also two other interfaces (add-on NIC cards): 8139too Fast Ethernet and eepro100.

As I said in an earlier post, I also tried connecting a notebook to the server's Gigabit port (the notebook has a FastEthernet port) and results were the same--corrupted files.

geoka 03-07-06 05:15 PM

OK, here is the bug report generated by nforce-bug-report.sh (the buggy situation). I post a link since this forum does not allow posting messages of more than 15000 characters.