nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   6800 ultra problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66606)

criticalfish 03-18-06 01:16 PM

6800 ultra problem

Ok I have a 6800 ultra (agp)

My problem is that at random times (recently more and more) everything displayed on the screen gets all funky... almost kind of pixelated...but it seems to be effected by color... like... some colors will be worse than others... I would show a screen shot but its something in the video card i guess because when i take a screen shot everything looks normal...

I know the problem isnt my monitor because I hook it up to another computer and nothing is wrong

here is a picture i made... trying to make it look as much like it does...(this isnt the actual problem..this is me in photoshop)

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2...led13ua.th.jpg

thats the closes i get it to look like the problem except the problem isnt so random throughout the screen it follows the colors more, and it happens in everything i open.. not just the desktop....but thats what the problem LOOKS like... any ideas?

jcniest5 03-18-06 01:22 PM

Re: 6800 ultra problem

Try the latest driver (or if yours is already the latest one, try a different version) and see if it helps.

john19055 03-18-06 09:19 PM

Have you tried to under clock the core and see if it goes away.It sort of looks like your core is overclocked to high.

Dr@Home 03-18-06 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john19055
Have you tried to under clock the core and see if it goes away.It sort of looks like your core is overclocked to high.

I think a screenshot would capture that if there was artifacting on the desktop--
Quote:

I would show a screen shot but its something in the video card i guess because when i take a screen shot everything looks normal...
Go ahead and lower your clocks alot and see if that does anything, but I doubt it...

criticalfish 03-20-06 06:39 PM

ok... i just downloaded and installd the newest drivers from nvidia (i was using the newest beta ones from this site) and restarted...the problem still happens...

its at 429mhz core 1.15ghz mem

I really dont want to UNDERclock my card....and as i am not get artifacts really i dont think it would help anything...

any other ideas?

snowmanwithahat 03-20-06 10:36 PM

sorry dude, it looks like underclocking might be the only option if you've already tried other versions of drivers

jimmor 03-21-06 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by criticalfish
ok... i just downloaded and installd the newest drivers from nvidia (i was using the newest beta ones from this site) and restarted...the problem still happens...

its at 429mhz core 1.15ghz mem

I really dont want to UNDERclock my card....and as i am not get artifacts really i dont think it would help anything...

any other ideas?

The point of seeing if the problem persists after Underclocking, is to help determine if it is "heat and/or loading" related ?

To run stable, a 6800Ultra normally needs very good heatsinking and a reliable PSU with something like a 20Amp capability on the +12v line. Also, the mollex'd connection from the PSU should be direct, and thus not shared with any other dynamic devices, like HDD/CDROM/DVDROM, etc

So if the problem doesn't happen with core speed of 400 or less, it is possible that that your card's heatsinking is not good enough or working properly, or your PSU is struggling with the extra overclocked loading ?

criticalfish 03-21-06 11:45 PM

well it is a leadtek... it has a GIANT heat sync... ill try underclocking now... as this problem is really making me mad lol...the gpu stays at about 63c

and i think its the power... i just got 2 pop up things .. nvidia power moniter... your video card is not recieving sufficent power...blah blah blah

edit****

i just opened up my comp.. and re-did all the power wires... and fixed it all up... and so far no problems... and my card is running at 55c instead of 63+

criticalfish 03-23-06 11:04 AM

nope... problems back...was fine for a while.. now its back and wrose than ever

snowmanwithahat 03-23-06 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by criticalfish
nope... problems back...was fine for a while.. now its back and wrose than ever

i hate being the bringer of bad news, but i'm guessing from being underpowered for so long your gpu has sustained some damage, it's a possibility, and at the moment looks to be the most probable

Peoples-Agent 03-23-06 05:45 PM

To be honest, he AGP 6800 to me was always broken.
Mine had a clunky huge ass fan and eventually went pop... like most of them.

snowmanwithahat 03-23-06 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
To be honest, he AGP 6800 to me was always broken.
Mine had a clunky huge ass fan and eventually went pop... like most of them.

yeh i've heard people have commonly had problems with them, makes me glad that i switched to a Zalman cooler early on, i didn't even have dust in mine when i changed the coolers, and so far i couldn't ask for anything better, it has better than stock temps at 6800 ultra speeds