nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WinXP SP2 won't start after GeForce FX5500 plugged (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66850)

hakito 03-22-06 01:43 PM

WinXP SP2 won't start after GeForce FX5500 plugged

I have a MoBo Gigabyte K8VM800M with an onboard graphic card that just started to fail at 1200x1024x32@60, so I bought a Gigabyte GeForce FX5500 (GV-N55256D-E) but after I plugged it WinXP just won't load, it freezes on the windows logo screen, sometimes showing from 1 to 4 vertical-aligned dots at the right of the "progress bar" -that happens even on "safe mode".

If I unplug the FX5500 WinXP starts just fine, though it's still failing at 1200x1024x32@60 so I have to set the res. to 1024x768x32@85. I also have Ubuntu64 installed, and it does work Ok with the FX5500, although it uses it as a generic card. Back on WinXP I've tried disabling the onboard card via the hardware manager with no success (still freezes at startup)

I've read somewhere to try to install the up-to-date drivers for this card, but that's quite complicated if can't even log into WinXP despite the "mode" I choose (such as VGA or Safe mode)

Any help will be appreciated.

supra 03-22-06 10:35 PM

Re: WinXP SP2 won't start after GeForce FX5500 plugged

noticed u said u disabled the onbaord graphic through the hardware manager. have u tried disabling it through bios?

SLippe 03-25-06 01:14 AM

Yeah, what supra said. You need to go into your BIOS and disable onboard graphics and select as your primary graphics display AGP or PCI. Then, after you get into Windows install the newest nvidia driver.

hakito 03-26-06 11:06 AM

Re: WinXP SP2 won't start after GeForce FX5500 plugged [SOLVED]

I forgot to mention that my MoBo (BIOS) doesn't allow me to disable the onboard graphic card (isn't great?), it's supposed to do it by itself automatically once it detects the new card. Also, I need to press Ctrl+F1 (once on the BIOS) to see some advanced settings (eventhouh there's already an "Advanced options" -or something like that- on the menu... I learned to love the Gigabyte guys)

Anyway, I solved the problem by going to the (real) Advanced options, and changing the AGP speed to 4X, and the "Initialize graphic card" (or something like that) from PCI to Onboard/AGP. Once WinXP loaded and I installed the drivers (though I wasn't sure this was necessary anymore), I returned and changed back the speed to 8X (though I didn't change back the "initialize" option) and also set the 'aperture' (or something) from 64MB to 128MB (the card has 256MB) and it's working fine.

Hope this helps somebody.

rage10 04-17-06 09:01 AM

I had the same problom.heres what you do:start up windows using the onbord video chip but your new one pluged in then install your new video cards driverz and right clic on your desktop go to proertys>setings>display and there should be two choysez your FX and the onbord chip select the FX
and select :use this divice as the primery display monitor. and:extend windows desktop onto this monitor.

I dont know what it does woodent work for me without those things selected

gtjr_ph 04-30-06 03:29 AM

un install the onboard video driver in the add/remove programs, in your case a via chipset, s3 graphics onboard video....