nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Nalu ran on my 5700! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67167)

Darkfalz 03-27-06 04:30 AM

Nalu ran on my 5700!

At a few frames PER MINUTE, but it ran ;)

I was about to get my 6600 GT and downloaded Luna in preparation, and couldn't resist just trying it.

Of course Luna meant for 7800 run fine on my 6600 GT too, although it's my least favourite demo so far.

Redeemed 03-27-06 01:35 PM

Re: Nalu ran on my 5700!

Quote:

Of course Luna meant for 7800 run fine on my 6600 GT too, although it's my least favourite demo so far.
Luna ran on your 6600GT because that gpu supports all the features used in Luna. As far as FEATURES goes, the 6 and 7 series really aren't all that different. All the 7 series has that the 6 series doesn't is some add AA methods and I believe full hardware support for PureVideo. Other than that they have the same featureset. So if your 6600GT didn't run luna then I'd say there was something wrong with your card.

As for the 5700 running nalu, I'm surprised. Maybe it reverted to SM2.0 for your card so it'd work? Cause the NV3x series does NOT support hardware SM3.0 at all. Hm, who knows. ;)

agentkay 03-27-06 04:36 PM

The demos are all in OpenGL, and there is no SM3.0 in OpenGL, IIRC. Darkfalz, did you use a wrapper or any type of mod, or just a newer driver version to start the demo on the 5700?

Darkfalz 03-27-06 06:41 PM

As I said it ran only one frame every 10 seconds or so, so most likely it was using some kind of software emulation for unsupported shaders (wouldn't be surprised if software rasterisers were built into the ICD). Looked just as pretty though!

Reminds me of the old days trying GLQuake on the OSR2 software OpenGL implementation and getting a few frames a minute. I remember getting a SGI MMX optimised software OpenGL and it ran maybe 2-3 frames a second, wow! I believe just for fun I tried that out when I got my P4 and at 320x240 in pure software OpenGL GLQuake ran about 10 FPS or so... hehe. I reckon a SSE2 built OpenGL software implementation would get 30! But I don't think anyone's going to write it... ;)

CaptNKILL 03-28-06 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfalz
Reminds me of the old days trying GLQuake on the OSR2 software OpenGL implementation and getting a few frames a minute. I remember getting a SGI MMX optimised software OpenGL and it ran maybe 2-3 frames a second, wow! I believe just for fun I tried that out when I got my P4 and at 320x240 in pure software OpenGL GLQuake ran about 10 FPS or so... hehe. I reckon a SSE2 built OpenGL software implementation would get 30! But I don't think anyone's going to write it... ;)

Wow, using software to emulate hardware acceleration in a game that was natively software mode? That sounds cool in a "wow thats totaly unnecessary" kind of way :D

You should do it with Tenebrae Quake. The one with per pixel lighting and shadowing and full bump and specular maps :D

Darkfalz 03-28-06 02:06 PM

I should try Tenebrae Quake.