nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   From default NV at 75 vert HZ to nvidia at max 58Hz, what's wrong? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67626)

BoardDWorld 04-03-06 02:40 PM

From default NV at 75 vert HZ to nvidia at max 58Hz, what's wrong?

Hello All,

Right now I am only able to get 1024 x 768 @58 eye killing Hz. This is only on nVidia drivers both version 7676 and 8178. Both the default Linux nv driver and the windows nvidia or default drivers can be configured to use 1024 x 769 @ 75Hz with no quarms at all. I have tried manually configuring the the xorg.conf file as well as every combination possible under sax2, attempting anything within it's true range will default it to 800 x 600 and some crazy low Hz which I took no particular interest in. I'm at an end and it's the only thing stopping me from really using Linux full time. I have heard of this same thing happening with laptops... Does anyone know what's the cause and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

netllama 04-03-06 02:59 PM

Re: From default NV at 75 vert HZ to nvidia at max 58Hz, what's wrong?

Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5

and then generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log

Thanks,
Lonni

BoardDWorld 04-03-06 04:00 PM

I did exactly as you asked and the outcome was perfect in creating the log according to the responce i got after the nvidia-bug-report.sh was executed. I restarted the system back into it's normal state so I could use the internet and i can't find the .log, am I only able to access it from within that special state from the startx -- -logverbose 5 command?

BoardDWorld 04-03-06 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That really is funny isn't it... oh well I'll come to understand Linux soon enough. Finally it's attached ;)

netllama 04-03-06 04:14 PM

The bug report gets written to your current working directory as an ordinary text file. However, if that was /tmp and your /tmp is tmpfs mounted, then its going to get lost after a reboot.

-Lonni

BoardDWorld 04-03-06 04:25 PM

yeah, it was still there after I booted back in using that command. Sorry it didn't attach before, 70kb too large.

netllama 04-03-06 04:56 PM

According to the X log in your bug report, your display supports the following native modes:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Established Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 60Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 60Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0):
(--) NVIDIA(0): Detailed Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 65.00 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1024, 1048
(--) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1184, 1344
(--) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 768, 771
(--) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 777, 806
(--) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : -/-

No where is anything other than 60Hz listed for a refresh rate. It looks like your xorg.conf is requesting the 58Hz refresh rate in its 1024x768 modeline. If you remove or comment that modeline out, you'll likely get the native 60Hz refresh rate for 1024x768. I'm not sure where you're seeing a 75hz refresh rate.

-Lonni

BoardDWorld 04-04-06 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m sorry but I don’t really care what the report has to say about the capabilities of my LCD as it’s the detection that is the problem that needs to be addressed, there IS an issue and it is solely with the “nvidia” driver on Linux and despite the problem being only a small minority the issue exists and is not only in the imagination of newbie Linux users. Only going back one page I was able to find someone else having the same issue; http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67134 how many pages would you like me to go back? PLEASE FIX IT!!! My eyes are of very high value and they are being affected, I'm quite sure you can imagine what 58Hz is like.

Now for some totally undeniable visual evidence to get past the “The Driver Says So Phase” please see attached(I can send the same picks showing windows opperating at 75Hz also if you so wish):

hayaka 04-04-06 05:21 AM

You're getting 58Hz modes because of your modelines. What happens when you don't put them in? Or rename them so they aren't using the same Modename as the defaults?

The driver does report lower than expected Vert and Horiz rates.

Also why do you want to drive your LCD at a faster rate than the LCD optimal 60Hz? You're not using a CRT where a gun is constantly scanning, and you would want 85Hz or higher to prevent flicker.

BoardDWorld 04-04-06 01:40 PM

Well I tried #hashing the modes and then removing them completely this achieved nothing until I added the Option "VertRefresh" "75" line. This now allows me 800x600 @75Hz for the first time using the "nvidia" driver. I Then tried removing all resolutions and depths having only a resolution of 1024x768 as follows:

Section "Screen"
Device "Device[0]"
Identifier "Screen[0]"
Monitor "Monitor[0]"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Unfortunately this hasn't helped, I'm guessing there is a method to apply this much the same as the 75Hz but I'm still under a month on Linux for the first time and still discovering A LOT...

In regards to the optimal refresh, under windows it defaults to 75Hz, when purchased it the display model was at this and I ran it for 8 months at this on Windows and there has never been any visable flicker/waveyness at this vert Hz. The extra 15-17Hz makes a tremendous difference being that the flicker/waveyness is very noticeable at 60Hz and quite nauseous after a couple of hours use.

I notice the nVidia staff has quietened down... not surprised...

netllama 04-04-06 01:44 PM

Please post an updated bug report with the changes that you've made.

Thanks,
Lonni

BoardDWorld 04-04-06 02:07 PM

I'll have a go at it tomorrow... I played around to much and had to run sax2 from init 3 :) I did just realized throughout all the configurations I just tried while running sax2 it didn't allow more than 49 Hor. Hz... Goodnight ;)