nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crash with 8756 driver &twinview (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68240)

llagendijk 04-11-06 04:48 PM

Crash with 8756 driver &twinview

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Livna 8756 drivers installled on my Fedora FC5 system. With the old 8157 (?) driver I had Twinview working without any problems. When the update to the 8756 driver got installed the X windows system did crash.
I have an Asus A8N SLi de luxe motherboard with an XP 4200 processor. The 8756 driver works well when I do not enable TwinView. I have included the nvidia-bug-report.log created while running without TwinView.
Creating the bug report while running with Twinview enabled fails, due to a hang of the script. This appears to be caused by a kernel crash.
enclosed are the output from a ps while running the script, as well as the output from dmesg and the X logfile with TwinView enabled.

netllama 04-11-06 06:07 PM

Re: Crash with 8756 driver &twinview

I have a few questions:
0) Does X crash immediately when TwinView is in use?
1) Which BIOS version are you using?
2) Does this reproduce if you boot with the 'nosmp' kernel parameter?

Thanks,
Lonni

llagendijk 04-12-06 02:31 PM

hi Lonni,
thanks for your help. Here are the answers to your questions:
0) Does X crash immediately when TwinView is in use?
The graphical boot screen works as expected if enabled, as soon as the X-server is started, X crashes. It does not even show the Nvidia splash screen

1) Which BIOS version are you using?
I had bios 1013 dated 07/26/2005. On the Asus website I found a version 1016, dated 12/01/2005 and installed it. The crash remains the same

2) Does this reproduce if you boot with the 'nosmp' kernel parameter?
The machine does not even boot when I set teh nosmp parameter. It complains about lost interrupt on hda (a cdrom player). So I could not test this unfortunately

netllama 04-14-06 12:52 PM

I'm not having any luck reproducing this problem on the Asus A8N motherboard that I have here.

Do you have the means of using a DVI to VGA adapter to test whether this reproduces in analog mode, instead of digital?

Additionally, can you try booting with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters?

Thanks,
Lonni

llagendijk 04-22-06 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My apologies for the slow response, but I have been on a business trip most of the week.

[quote=netllama]I'm not having any luck reproducing this problem on the Asus A8N motherboard that I have here.

Do you have the means of using a DVI to VGA adapter to test whether this reproduces in analog mode, instead of digital?

Done...
I have now connected both monitors using a DVI => VGA and now it everything works as expected! :)
I also tried combinations of DVI and VGA. One crashes, the other works ok. I have included the bug report for the one that works ok.

Additionally, can you try booting with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters?

I have tried with both options, and this makes no difference

thanks, Louis

netllama 04-22-06 02:14 PM

I've reproduced this problem and opened a bug. It is specific to TwinView with two DFPs.

Thanks,
Lonni