nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68563)

mrkh 04-16-06 01:14 PM

Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you?

Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of the number of people who have tried suspend-to-disk or suspend-to-ram, and see is there any pattern to the hardware or software setups on which it works or fails.

So if you have tried it, it would be great if you could post below
  1. What suspend method did you use? (e.g. suspend-to-ram, swsusp in kernel, suspend2, etc.)
  2. Did it work?
  3. Your software setup (nvidia driver version, distro, kernel version, suspend version if applicable)
  4. Your hardware (Chipset, GeForce model, mainboard, CPU)
  5. If it didn't work for you, and you feel like describing the problem - tell us about where it failed, any debugging attempts, etc.

And if you want to give suspend/hibernate a try...here are some links
I'll start...
  1. (Suspend method) Suspend-to-disk (Suspend2 2.2.1 kernel and packages from atrpms.net)
  2. (Worked?) No - failed on resume.
  3. (SW setup) 8756 drivers, Fedora Core 5, kernel-suspend2-2.6.16-1.2080_3.rhfc5.cubbi_suspend2 plus the supporting suspend2 packages from atrpms.net
  4. (HW) NForce 2, Integrated GF4MX, Soltek SL-7BA-F, Athlon XP Barton 2500+
  5. (Problem Desc.) With NvAGP driver - locks up while restoring RAM image from disk, with AGPGART driver - resumes ok, but video doesn't come back, system grinds to a halt for a few secs every 15 secs or so, printing the message "NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 8, Channel 0000001b". But with AGP completely disabled - works fine! (See this thread for more details).

Ken

mrkh 04-17-06 12:23 PM

Re: Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you?

(bump)

Am I really the only one who has tried suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk?

tezem 04-17-06 03:18 PM

1. Suspend-to-ram (Supsend-to-disk not yet tested with new driver)
2. It works.
3. 8756 drivers, ArchLinux, vanilla 2.6.16.1
4. Intel 855 PM+, GeForce FX Go5200, Samsung X30 WVM1600, Pentium M 1600

quetzyg 04-17-06 03:23 PM

I can suspend to ram, and get the system back with no trouble at all. I never tried to suspend to disk, tough.

Here are some of my specs:

Hardware:
GeForce Go 6600 256MB PCI-X (it's a laptop)

Software:
Slackware Linux 10.2
Linux 2.6.16.5
GCC 3.3.6
NVidia 1.0-8756

89TROOPER 04-17-06 03:38 PM

1. What suspend method did you use? (e.g. suspend-to-ram, swsusp in kernel, suspend2, etc.) Suspend2 (S3 and S4)
  2. Did it work? Yes
  3. Your software setup (nvidia driver version, distro, kernel version, suspend version if applicable) nVidia 8756, FC5, 2.6.16-2084, Suspend 2.2.4
  4. Your hardware (Chipset, GeForce model, mainboard, CPU) Go 7800, Dell Inspiron e1705, Core Duo T2400 (SMP enabled in kernel .config)
  5. If it didn't work for you, and you feel like describing the problem - tell us about where it failed, any debugging attempts, etc. Framebuffer works with vga=791 appended to kernel. Compiled AGP as modules.

Works great with 8756...never worked with 8178. Haven't tested console framebuffer with TwinView on - I hear it corrupts the vga consoles.

pauljohn 04-17-06 11:23 PM

Suspend does not work for me with the nvidia driver for X. It used to work with the early Fedora Core 3 kernel, which was 2.6.11 or 2.6.12, but in later FC3 and FC4 and FC5, the suspend to RAM or disk and resume fails. The system appears dead, but usually it is really running, with no video turned on. SOmetimes I can ssh into the machine and force it to reboot.

I have Dell Latitude D800 with GO5200FX and a display that is 1680x1050 native.

The main problem I have is that the video does not wake up after the system resumes. I have the same experience using the ACPI support from the kernel, with or without the kernel's agpgart or with Nvidia's agp support. I've tried suspend2. Result is the same. I found suspend to disk to be so slow as to be useless--it is just as slow as rebooting. Suspend to memory is not improved or changed by suspend2. So I ignore that and just try to make the kernel and acpi handle it.

The kernel authors say "it is some flaw in the nvidia driver", but I don't believe it because this used to work in the old days. I believe instead that some kernel tinkering went on, probably to clean up some hack or beautify the structure of something, and they broke whatever it was that used to work. I have not been able to find out which particular mother board dell put in here, but I BELIEVE it is an ASUS motherboard of some type, but the Dell company says they do not know exactly which one (unless I mail it back for them to look over). But they offer no Linux related support or warranty, so I don't bother.

Yesterday, I experimented more on this, and I've learned that I CAN resume if I use the "nv" driver that comes with xorg servers. That only works IF I leave in the vbetool post command in the following script. If I don't have that "post" command, the screen stays dark. If I use the same approach with Nvidia's driver, the X screen is just a blur of awful looking colors and I'm afraid it is damaging the display.

HEre are the acpi scripts that DO work with the "nv" driver.

action sleep:

$ cat /etc/acpi/events/sleep
# /etc/acpid/events/sleep

event=button[/]sleep
action=/etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh %e

sleep.sh:

$ cat /etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh
#!/bin/sh

# do not got to suspend mode if some command fails!
set -e

PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"

rmmodules () {
mname=$1
if grep $mname /proc/modules ; then
/sbin/rmmod $mname
fi
}

# if network is up, shut it down!
if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/network ] ; then
/sbin/service network stop
fi

/sbin/service syslog stop

# remmod all problematic modules
rmmodules tg3
rmmodules uhci_hcd
rmmodules ehci_hcd
rmmodules hci_usb
rmmodules ipw2200

/usr/bin/chvt 1

echo mem > /sys/power/state

/usr/sbin/vbetool post

# after waking up, move to terminal 1, this give some time to graphic card to get into sane state
# sleep 0.5
# change into gui terminal, graphic card is ok at this point
/usr/bin/chvt 7

/sbin/hwclock --hctosys

#load modules
/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ipw2200
/sbin/service syslog start
/sbin/ifup lo
/sbin/ifup eth1

--------------------

Now, just one other thing. About AGP support. THe old linux never did work with the native AGP turned on. So I had this in xorg.conf:

Option "NvAGP" "1"

and it did work. No vbetool magic was needed in my sleep.sh script or anything. Now, however, the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file shows that the NvAGP module cannot load because the kernel already has agpgart service loaded.

One can re-compile the kernel to remove AGP-nv (change "y" to "m" or "n"), but that's a hassle. So add the command line option agp=off line to the kernel line (say, in /etc/grub.conf) or at startup time. That allows the Nvidia AGP to load.

However, I'm still left with the dark screen.

Good luck. I hope you solve it. This has been the most frustrating, long-enduring hassle in the 10 years I've been playing around with Linux. Even worse than owning a Matrox Mystique on a Pentium-75 with kernel 2.0. And that was the pits!

Sincerely,

Paul Johnson
Professor, Political Science
University of Kansas

rbirdman 04-18-06 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkh
Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of the number of people who have tried suspend-to-disk or suspend-to-ram, and see is there any pattern to the hardware or software setups on which it works or fails.

So if you have tried it, it would be great if you could post below

Ken

1. (Suspend method) Suspend-to-ram
  2. (Worked?) Yes
  3. (SW setup) most nvidia drivers and Fedora kernels since Fedora Core 2
  4. (HW) Dell Inspiron 8600, NVidia GeForce FX Go5200
  5. (Problem Desc.) Generally speaking there has been few problems most drivers have worked for suspend just fine. I haven't moved to FC5 yet but the beta's had suspend and hibernate pretty much working out of the box without the NVidia driver.

Here's a link to my site outlining my experiences. It's mostly old hat now with newer drivers and kernels I think.

krionius 04-18-06 03:06 AM

Suspend-to-disk with software suspend2 (wrote to swap partition)
Doesnt work, never really worked. Formerly I could use it with AGP turned off.

- I've tried both nvAgp and agpgart, no success, same thing happened.
- I haven't seen any useful log message. Neither on screen nor in file
- page extra allowance set to 0 or 10000, nothing helps. With new driver 8756 I cannot suspend anyhow. Without nvidia driver I can suspend/resume perfectly. Suspend2 2.2.4 with kernel 2.6.16
- with 8176 I could suspend but resume worked only with AGP off. 8756 is worse. I cannot even just suspend, screen goes blank and system is left frozen.

th0rgal 04-18-06 05:41 AM

Hi,

for what it's worth :
  1. (Suspend method) Suspend-to-ram (was formely using acpid but no longer need it, using now klaptop from KDE after usb kernel module issues disappeared during suspend).
  2. (Worked?) Yes
  3. (SW setup) 8756 drivers, Debian Unstable, Kernel 2.6.16 (vanilla) + mm patch.
  4. (HW) Dell Latitude 800, GeForce4 4200 Go
  5. (Problem Desc.) Used to have many problems with the 7xxx and 81xx series, had to patch for resume-from-S3 + build issues + blank screen, garbled VTs, etc. The latest driver has none of these issues. Only hotkey switching is screwed. I emulate it with twinview, although that's not exactly what I would like.

Pipeline 04-18-06 06:32 AM

1. Suspend method: suspend-to-disk, Swsusp 2 for 2.6.16
2. Did NOT work.

3. Kernel: vanilla 2.6.16.1 + swsusp2 2.4 for 2.6.16, agpgart disabled.
X: xorg 6.8.2 with nvidia driver.
4. Hardware: Athlon 64 on nforce 4 (ASUS A8N-SLI premium), with Geforce 7600GT (ASUS brand).
5. When suspending, after everything seems to be done, monitor powers off, but computer keeps running and is irresponsive. GPU fan goes to full speed. Situation did not change for 10 min, then I powered off manually. Restarting leads to a reboot, not a resume.
Tried every trick I heard (several NVAGP settings, certain "magic" hiberante options etc.), but situation does not change.
When "nvidia" module is not loaded, i.e in console mode, everything works fine.

Druker 04-18-06 08:17 AM

Here's my report:
  1. (Suspend method) STR
  2. (Worked?) yes
  3. (SW setup) 8756 drivers, OpenSuSE Linux 10.1 RC1
  4. (HW) FSC Amilo M3438G, GeForce Go 6800 PCI-E/256MB
  5. (Problem Desc.) none so far
  1. (Suspend method) STD
  2. (Worked?) yes
  3. (SW setup) 8756 drivers, OpenSuSE Linux 10.1 RC1
  4. (HW) FSC Amilo M3438G, GeForce Go 6800 PCI-E/256MB
  5. (Problem Desc.) none so far
  6. (Note) bloody fast resume!!!! Will stick to it from now on :)

nVIDIA!!!! Thanks A LOT!!!

mrkh 04-18-06 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies........keep them coming!!

Anyone else still got an nforce2 mainboard?

Ken