nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Frustrations w/ TV Out (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68701)

polpak 04-18-06 04:50 PM

Frustrations w/ TV Out

2 Attachment(s)
I've tried with 2 different video cards as well as different nvidia drivers and versions of X. I simply cannot get tvout to work. I have a Pansonic 27" TV (CT-27G14A). I'm currently trying to use an Asus Geforce 3 Ti.

The console looks fine, but X will not display regardless of the changes I've attempted to make to the config file. (by following various readme's about tvout). I don't have a monitor connected, and I'm connecting via svideo (composite cable makes the console unreadable) to the tv.

Ive attached the nvidia-bug-report (after startx -- -logverbose 5) as well as my Xorg.conf file. I've been working on this for about 4 days now, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mlampard 04-18-06 04:59 PM

Re: Frustrations w/ TV Out

Hi,
Perhaps you could try :
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
as according to the README, auto-detection sometimes misbehaves.

netllama 04-18-06 05:09 PM

Have you tried adding the TVOutFormat option to your X configuration?
Can your TV do 1024x768? Have you tried 640x480?
Is the SVIDEO cable plugged directly into the TV and videocard?

Thanks,
Lonni

polpak 04-18-06 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Have you tried adding the TVOutFormat option to your X configuration?

Yes, there is no change.

Quote:

Is the SVIDEO cable plugged directly into the TV and videocard?

Yes

Quote:

Can your TV do 1024x768?

I'm not entirely sure, as none of the documentation I have for it has given resolution or refresh rates. I think that it most likely cannot.

Quote:

Have you tried 640x480?

Yes, using this version of the driver and X I was able to get a screen using a friends GeForce2 video card to display (640x480 HorizRefresh 45, VertSync 60). When it was displaying with this card the display had about a 2 inch black border (the display was smaller than the screen) and there was an odd blue bar that appeared on the left hand side when I tried to watch a video. It wasn't part of the normal display area.

But using the exact same settings on my card as I used on his still gives me nothing.. like it can't find the signal, or the refresh rates are off.

polpak 04-19-06 12:23 PM

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

polpak 04-20-06 11:44 AM

174 views and no one has any other suggestions? I've read a few places that the GeForce2 card is no longer supported by this driver, (though surprisingly enough, it will work, though not ideally, while the GeForce3 will not). Should I just shell out another 40 bucks on a Geforce 4? I'm trying to get this setup as a MythTV system, and I've heard that the GeForce4's also have mpeg1/2 decoding hardware which will make playing back my shows much less CPU intensive.

If I must go that route I'd like to know that it'll work before I shell out the additional 40 bucks or so. But if at all possible, I'd really prefer to get one of these other cards working.

Can anyone help?

Thanks