nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68969)

Sobriquet 04-23-06 05:55 AM

UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

I didn't find an answer to this, so this is how I managed to get the 71.74 drivers running on my Geforce2 GTS under Fedora Core 5. I'm assuming you're running FC5 with the kernel updated to 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.

Disclaimer: If your computer bursts into flames, don't blame me. According to at least one post on this board, a proper solution from NVidia is imminent.
  • Download the 7174 installer from nvidia.com
  • Download the patch from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67068
  • Extract and apply patch as detailed on previous link, but don't run installer yet
  • Modify Makefile so that layout matchs that of xorg instead of XFree86 by running `sed "s/usr\/X11R6\/lib/usr\/lib\/xorg/g" Makefile >Makefile2; mv Makefile2 Makefile`
  • Rearrange local dir structure to match: `mv usr/X11R6/lib usr/lib/xorg`
  • Now if you run the installer and modify your `/etc/X11/xorg.conf` correctly you should be up and running (Note: I ran `make install` here, but the Installer should hopefully work fine too)

lou77 04-29-06 06:43 AM

Re: UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

Hi,

Please dont use this unofficial HOWTO. I tried that my self and it didn't work at all.
It's all gargage...:thumbdwn:

Sobriquet 04-29-06 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lou77
Please dont use this unofficial HOWTO. I tried that my self and it didn't work at all.
It's all gargage...:thumbdwn:

*sigh*
I hope someone got something positive from my post.

lou77: You neglected to mention what didn't work, were you unable to r0b0's patch? patch the makefile and/or directory structure? run the installer? or did you find yourself with a steaming heap of slag where once sat your pride and joy?

I've been running with this setup since my post, and it's taken everything I've thrown at it perfectly happily: Nexuiz, Neverball, any of the XScreenSaver OGL hacks. If I missed something out, or pointed out the bleeding obvious please let me know.

hdixon 05-27-06 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobriquet
I didn't find an answer to this, so this is how I managed to get the 71.74 drivers running on my Geforce2 GTS under Fedora Core 5. I'm assuming you're running FC5 with the kernel updated to 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.

Disclaimer: If your computer bursts into flames, don't blame me. According to at least one post on this board, a proper solution from NVidia is imminent.
  • Download the 7174 installer from nvidia.com
  • Download the patch from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67068
  • Extract and apply patch as detailed on previous link, but don't run installer yet
  • Modify Makefile so that layout matchs that of xorg instead of XFree86 by running `sed "s/usr\/X11R6\/lib/usr\/lib\/xorg/g" Makefile >Makefile2; mv Makefile2 Makefile`
  • Rearrange local dir structure to match: `mv usr/X11R6/lib usr/lib/xorg`
  • Now if you run the installer and modify your `/etc/X11/xorg.conf` correctly you should be up and running (Note: I ran `make install` here, but the Installer should hopefully work fine too)

I have an Asus 7700 card which i think is (pretty much) the same chipset you mention. I'm running FC5 updated to 2.6.16-1.2122. Per the FC5 release notes I have the kernel source installed under my home directory. Do you think your steps above would work in my case?

TIA

electrifice 06-10-06 03:42 PM

I am trying to install the GTS Pro card for Linux on FC5. I'm using driver 7174 and have patched as indicated. My kernel version is 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5. The drivers installs properly (once the patch is applied) and modprobe seems to load the driver. But X doesn't start... it gives multiple errors that GLX or some submodule could not be loaded, and that the nvidia driver could not be loaded for no such driver exists. So, I resorted to your howto but I cannot get past the "sed" command. Typing it exactly as shown returns "No such file or directory". I'm hoping its just a small problem, I would REALLY like my graphic card to work.
Thanks

electrifice 06-10-06 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some files that might help you in figuring out the problem. The package xorg-x11-server-sdk IS installed on my system, and I have applied the 7174 patch already. Thanks for any help.

DragonMaster 06-13-06 05:05 PM

Thanks, it works great!

I used make install also.

For those who don't know what to change in xorg.conf :

In Section "Module"

Put # in front of Load "dri"
Add Load "glx"

In Section "Device"
replace Driver "nv" for Driver "nvidia" (You might want to add a square in front of nv and add an other line in case it doesn't work.)

In case it doesn't work, reset the Driver to "nv", put a square in front of Load "glx" and remove the one of "dri".

Here are some parts of my xorg.conf :

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
## Disable if "nv" driver
Load "glx"
##
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
## Disable if "nvidia" driver
# Load "dri"
##
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
# Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro]"
EndSection

aplarsen 06-14-06 03:23 PM

AWESOME!

Thank you so much for posting this patch as well as the instructions for making it work.

I've been banging my head against the wall, trying to get SVideo-Out on my Geforce2 Ultra on Fedora Core 4 (2.6.16). This works like a charm.

Thanks!

leifre 08-14-06 10:58 AM

Thank you very much for that great howto!
For me and my nvidia MX 460 it just worked!

zander 08-14-06 01:42 PM

Please note that no patches, etc., should be needed as of the 1.0-7182 NVIDIA Linux legacy graphics driver release. For Fedora Core 5 specific installation instructions, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490.