nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How can I tell what VRefresh im running? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68970)

d13f00l 04-23-06 05:02 AM

How can I tell what VRefresh im running?

1 Attachment(s)
The KDE screen config tools say I'm at 50hz, my DFP's hardware config menu says 60hz, I have no way of determining what my TV is at, however, ever since upgrading to the latest drivers I've had terrible vsync issues. Things will only sync to one screen or the other, despite the fact both are SUPPOSED to be running at 60hz. One screen will tear like heck, while the other will be fine, that makes no sense. They're both supposed to be at 60hz, and it was fine in the older drivers.

I have an NTSC TV. When I disable TV out, the kde tools say I'm at 60hz. Otherwise, 50hz, but my TV wouldn't even work at 50hz as it's NTSC. Something very whacky is happening inside the nvidia drivers, it's like there's a software refresh rate and a hardware.

This, and the DFP scaling being broken(you can't change how the LCD scales)...what should I do?

Why was the syncing code even touched? This release would be practically flawless... :(

jaaason 04-23-06 05:35 AM

Re: How can I tell what VRefresh im running?

Run xvidtune. In the lower right, it says Vertical Sync. Of course, that requires you to see the screen.

The only other way I know how to check vrefresh is the X log: /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log. When the driver is validating which modes work for your hardware and config, it prints lines about the modes. Valid modes look like this:
*Default mode "1280x1024": 135.0 MHz, 80.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
The star in front means that mode be tried first of all valid modes for that resolution (I think). The resolution that will be shown first is the first one listed in the Screen of xorg.conf. Anyway, the last value on that line is the vertical refresh.

For some reason, the log doesn't show lines like that in my current setup, nvidia-1.0-8756 with PCIe GeForce 6600.

d13f00l 04-23-06 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaaason
Run xvidtune. In the lower right, it says Vertical Sync. Of course, that requires you to see the screen.

The only other way I know how to check vrefresh is the X log: /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log. When the driver is validating which modes work for your hardware and config, it prints lines about the modes. Valid modes look like this:
*Default mode "1280x1024": 135.0 MHz, 80.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
The star in front means that mode be tried first of all valid modes for that resolution (I think). The resolution that will be shown first is the first one listed in the Screen of xorg.conf. Anyway, the last value on that line is the vertical refresh.

For some reason, the log doesn't show lines like that in my current setup, nvidia-1.0-8756 with PCIe GeForce 6600.

diefool@veracity ~ $ xvidtune
Vendor: Monitor Vendor, Model: Monitor Model
Num hsync: 0, Num vsync: 0
Video are not settable on this chip

Doesn't run. :(

diefool@veracity ~ $ xvidtune -show
"1280x1024" 0.00 1280 0 0 0 1024 0 0 0

Not enough info :(

jaaason 04-23-06 06:41 AM

Did you check the logs?

If you think the driver is using the wrong refresh rate, you can set it in xorg.conf. I don't know how to do this with GUI tools. If you're not using TwinView, use "VertRefresh 59.0 - 61.0" in the Monitor section of xorg.conf. With TwinView, maybe "Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 59-61; TV-0 59-61" in the Device section.

Maybe someone else has already seen and solved this problem. Anyone?

AaronP 04-23-06 12:15 PM

You should be able to use
Code:

nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate
to get the refresh rate of the current screen (in cHz).

d13f00l 04-23-06 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP
You should be able to use
Code:

to get the refresh rate of the current screen (in cHz).

ERROR: Error parsing query 'RefreshRate' (Unrecognized attribute name).

:(

Any other ideas?

d13f00l 04-23-06 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaaason
Did you check the logs?

If you think the driver is using the wrong refresh rate, you can set it in xorg.conf. I don't know how to do this with GUI tools. If you're not using TwinView, use "VertRefresh 59.0 - 61.0" in the Monitor section of xorg.conf. With TwinView, maybe "Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 59-61; TV-0 59-61" in the Device section.

Maybe someone else has already seen and solved this problem. Anyone?

I tried that too, DFP: and TV: Do I need to specify -0 ?

AaronP 04-24-06 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d13f00l

ERROR: Error parsing query 'RefreshRate' (Unrecognized attribute name).

Are you sure you have the newest version of nvidia-settings installed? I get that error if I try to use the 8178 version of nvidia-settings with the 8756 driver. nvidia-settings should have been installed along with the rest of the driver if you used the .run installer.

d13f00l 04-24-06 05:05 PM

Quote:

Are you sure you have the newest version of nvidia-settings installed? I get that error if I try to use the 8178 version of nvidia-settings with the 8756 driver. nvidia-settings should have been installed along with the rest of the driver if you used the .run installer.

Apparently, gentoo's ebuild is out of date. I installed the nvidia-settings part manually.
Attribute 'RefreshRate' (veracity.ath.cx:0.0, display device: DFP-0): 6002.
That's with TV out off

Attribute 'RefreshRate' (veracity.ath.cx:0.0, display device: TV-0): 5995.
'RefreshRate' is an integer attribute.
'RefreshRate' is a read-only attribute.
'RefreshRate' is display device specific.
'RefreshRate' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU
Attribute 'RefreshRate' (veracity.ath.cx:0.0, display device: DFP-0): 5995.

That's with it on. Is that normal?

Edit: I'm still having tearing issues, if I sync to the TV it's ok on the TV but not on the TV, if I sync to the DFP it's ok on the DFP but not on the TV. I don't think I had this issue with the older drivers..or was it always impossible to sync to both screens even if they are running at the same vrefresh?

AaronP 04-24-06 05:31 PM

Can you please start X with the -logverbose 6 option with and without the TV and generate a bug report for each configuration? That way the log will have all the modes and how they were validated.

d13f00l 04-24-06 06:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Can you please start X with the -logverbose 6 option with and without the TV and generate a bug report for each configuration? That way the log will have all the modes and how they were validated.

1 is with tv when in 640x480, 2 is without tv

d13f00l 04-24-06 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops, I don't think --logverbose worked

Let's try this again.
nvfix is without, nvfix2 is with this time