nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GeForce3 Ti 500, DVI, Ubuntu-Dapper, Driver 8756 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69418)

zisper 05-01-06 08:35 AM

GeForce3 Ti 500, DVI, Ubuntu-Dapper, Driver 8756

2 Attachment(s)
Hi;

I've been struggling with getting the nvidia drivers working on my machine. Graphics card is a GeForce3 Ti 500, I'm hooking up to my monitor via the DVI connection. I'm running Dapper Ubuntu (which I'm new to, was on gentoo....) and the latest'n'greatest nvidia driver. Unfortunately it causes my machine to basically lock up (the RSEIUB trick still works, but Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace don't.).
As a little background, I've been messing around with my xorg.conf file and have noticed that my monitor EDID detection only works if the ddc module is disabled. I've also tried various settings with ignoring the EDID info and specificying a modeline etc for the monitor, all without success. When EDID detection isn't working I also get these errors:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to use mode "1280x1024" for DFP-0; cannot compute
(WW) NVIDIA(0): backend DFP timings (no EDID).

I've attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files (taken with --logverbose 5). SInce I'm using the precompiled ubuntu modules I haven't got nvidia-bug-report.log file. If there's nothing obviously wrong then I guess compiling the module against my current kernel will be the next step. (Though I switched to Ubuntu to try and avoid doing that kind of thing anymore!)
Ah, it's all working fine with the nv driver too btw. (Well, aside from no GL, etc) Any help apprecieted, it's been very annoying.

netllama 05-01-06 11:14 AM

Re: GeForce3 Ti 500, DVI, Ubuntu-Dapper, Driver 8756

Its not clear why you're using the ConnectedMonitor option. If removing it doesn't help, then I'm going to need you to start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5

and then generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni

zisper 05-02-06 05:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
There was a lot of options in the config file I was trying, I left the "ConnectedMonitor" one in because I figured it couldn't hurt. (I initially put it in because my monitor is getting no signal at all - I thought the video card might've been trying to display via the vga port.) Anyway, I've removed that option, compiled the nvidia module (rather than using the pre-combiled dapper one) and am still having the same problems.
Please find my bug-report logfile attached - I've also attached the outputs from the /proc directory that the logfile says it couldn't find - I ran the script in a "safe mode", after rebooting, after X crashed with the nvidia drivers (to catch the Xorg.log file before it got replaced with a new one), so it didn't have a lot of modules etc installed.
Hopefully something in this stands out as obvious and easy to fix! :D

netllama 05-02-06 01:05 PM

The bug report doesn't include the verbose X log that I requested.
Does this only fail in digital (DFP) mode, or do you hit the same problem in analog mode (CRT)?

BTW, using the ConnectedMonitor option inappropriately can hurt alot. It should only be used as documented in the driver README.

Thanks,
Lonni

zisper 05-02-06 07:12 PM

I'm not on that computer at the minute, so I can't attach the X log - but isn't it included in the nvidia-bug-report.log anyway? I had a look, and what's listed in there is the output after the failed start of X with the nvidia drivers.

By CRT mode, do you mean with the monitor hooked up via a VGA caple rather than DVI? I haven't tried that because it's a bit (lot) of a pain to move things around so I can change the cables over. I didn't try setting the ConnectedMonitor option to CRT, because I've only got it hooked up with the DVI connection. If you think that's worth trying then please let me know and I'll dig out a VGA cable from somewhere.

I looked through the information on ConnectedMonitor settings, and thought that it simply specified which of the video outputs to use, VGA(CRT) DFP(DVI) or TV(S-Video) rather than using auto-detection. Is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the help so far.

netllama 05-02-06 07:34 PM

Yes, the X log is included in the bug report, however the verbose X that I requested wasn't in the bug report (although would be if you had started X with the command I provided).

By CRT, I did mean with a VGA cable.

The ConnectedMonitor option is not meant to specify which output to use. Please see the README for its intended usage.

Thanks,
Lonni

zisper 05-02-06 07:57 PM

Okay, I think I see where the Xorg logfile went wrong, please correct me if I'm not right, but that command is:

startx -- -logverbose 5

I believe I did startx --logverbose 5 (because I've never seen that program -- -option syntax before). I'll do this tonight and post up a new Xorg.log file. And try the VGA cable (that's just an error checking thing though right? I don't like LCD's with VGA connections.)

I looked through the driver readme (at least one I found on the web) and it still seems to me that the ConnectedMonitor option just specifies which output to use: Is there in a link to the relevant info you can post? Here's what I'm looking at:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "string"

Allows you to override what the NVIDIA kernel module detects is connected to your video card. This may be useful, for example, if you use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch and you are switched away when X is started. In such a situation, the NVIDIA kernel module cannot detect what display devices are connected, and the NVIDIA X driver assumes you have a single CRT.

Valid values for this option are "CRT" (cathode ray tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), or "TV" (television); if using TwinView, this option may be a comma-separated list of display devices; e.g.: "CRT, CRT" or "CRT, DFP".

It is generally recommended to not use this option, but instead use the "UseDisplayDevice" option.

NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat panels connected via a DVI port.

Default: string is NULL (the NVIDIA driver will detect the connected display devices).

netllama 05-02-06 11:02 PM

Yes, the command is:
startx -- -logverbose 5

zisper 05-03-06 03:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi;

Please find verbose log attached, I haven't had the chance to dig out a vga cable yet. Once I do, I'll post back the results.

Thanks,

netllama 05-03-06 11:32 AM

Just to confirm, the only display device that you have attached is the DFP? If so, then I suspect that this might be a VBIOS issue:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): The requested configuration of display devices is not
(EE) NVIDIA(0): supported in the hardware.

Did this videocard come with the Dell system?

Knowing whether this works with analog/VGA would be a useful datapoint.

Thanks,
Lonni

zisper 05-03-06 07:38 PM

Sorry, I didn't get around to that VGA cable last night. Promise to do it tonight. The card did come with the dell system. (Getting a bit long in the tooth now I suppose). This probably won't help, but a little history on what works (All with DVI connection)

Works fine under windows.
Works fine with nv drivers under ubuntu.
Worked fine with the nvidia drivers installed via the ubuntu package management system at driver version 7??? (I can't remember the exact version)
Worked fine with gentoo and all driver versions I tried for ages (a couple of years) before switching to ubuntu.

I noticed in the log there was a complaint about AGP:

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Is that a related issue?

zisper 05-04-06 03:48 AM

Well I'l be.... I've hooked my machine up with a VGA cable and it's working fine at the minute with the nvidia drivers. _Please_ tell me there's now something easy I can do to switch back to my DVI cable! ;)