nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70489)

BSD 05-20-06 11:06 PM

nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Specifically which drivers do you compile in the newest linux 2.6 kernel in order to achieve the best support for the nforce pro 2200, 2050, chipset? The only problem I'm really having is no DMA support for the ide cdroms drives:

/dev/hda: (and /dev/hdc)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

/dev/hda: (and /dev/hdc)
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
setting xfermode to 0 (default PIO mode)
using_dma = 0 (off)

Thanks for your help.

chunkey 05-21-06 08:18 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
there're two reason (that came to my mind)
1. you enabled "CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK=y" in the kernel configuration.
2. ?your CD-Drive is blacklisted?

maybe you should attach your kernel config and a dmesg output.

BSD 05-21-06 11:20 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
2 Attachment(s)
I don't think both of my optical drives would be blacklisted, and if they were, I don't think they would exibit the exact same problem.

My kernel config and dmesg are attached.

Note: If you have any other advice for me after looking at my kernel config or dmesg output, I'd like to hear it.

chunkey 05-21-06 11:51 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
reconfigure your kernel:

go to "Device Drivers" -> "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL Support"
Enable all of them:
- "PCI IDE chipset support"
- "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support"
- "Use PCI DMA by default when available"
- "AMD and nVidia IDE support"

and you can disable these:
-"CMD640 chipset bugfix/support"
- "SCSI emulation support" (It's obsolete!)

recompile the kernel and try again.

BSD 05-28-06 11:42 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Thanks chunkey, DMA works now:

/dev/hda and /dev/hdc:
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

But for some reason xcdroast thinks its off, and burning doesn't go over 24x (48x burner), but the rest of the system is not hindered anymore while burning so DMA is definatelly working....

(xcdroast shows: Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.)

P.S: Why does alsa device list say: No sound cards found, and then all of the sound works?

chunkey 05-28-06 01:32 PM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
But for some reason xcdroast thinks its off, and burning doesn't go over 24x (48x burner), but the rest of the system is not hindered anymore while burning so DMA is definatelly working....
(xcdroast shows: Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.)

I don't have/use xcdroast (k3b does a better job)...
It "could" be a permission problem ... but that's just a wild guess!


and second ... don't burn 48x :D
1. most blank cd's are _really_ garbage afterwards!
2. it's not much faster than 24x see ZCLV!
3. older cd-drives/(and cheap vcd/dvd-players) can't read them (reliable).

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
P.S: Why does alsa device list say: No sound cards found, and then all of the sound works?

Yes, since as far as I know, you've to compile your low-level soundcard driver
directly into the kernel to get _the entry_.

BSD 05-28-06 03:32 PM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Well, I don't use guis like kde genome so no k3b for me... (I dont want the libraries either)

I was curious because xcdroast of course uses other tools like cdrecord to burn cds. And when I burn at 48x it burns at about 24x, and when i burn at 24x it burns at about 16x... Any ideas why?

Thanks for your responces.

chunkey 05-28-06 07:45 PM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
Well, I don't use guis like kde genome so no k3b for me... (I dont want the libraries either)

why? GUI rock! you can have 4 terminals at the same time on one screen! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
I was curious because xcdroast of course uses other tools like cdrecord to burn cds. And when I burn at 48x it burns at about 24x, and when i burn at 24x it burns at about 16x... Any ideas why?

- is 24x(if you burn @ 48x) the min, average or max speed?
- how much data do you burn? (100/400/700+ mb?)
- do the discs support 48x writing?

BSD 05-29-06 11:40 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
I am of course using a gui (or else I wouldn't be talking about xcdroast), just not one of the bloated ones like genome or kde.

The disks are 52x
If I say 24x, then the whole burn process is at about 24x most of the time
So far its happened with 700megs to as low as 3megs.

chunkey 05-31-06 06:09 AM

Re: nforce professional (ck804, 2200, 2050) linux drivers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
I am of course using a gui (or else I wouldn't be talking about xcdroast), just not one of the bloated ones like gnome or kde.

no I don't think so... but I think this forum is not the right place to start a endless flamewar about this topic ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSD
The disks are 52x
If I say 24x, then the whole burn process is at about 24x most of the time
So far its happened with 700megs to as low as 3megs.

24x most of the time? (even with the last few megabytes of a 700MB-image?)
have you ever tried to burn a cd with cdrecord dev=/dev/something speed=52 some.iso? if and _attach_ the output?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.