nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   problem: NVidia driver in console (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7134)

motomatt 02-04-03 10:52 AM

problem: NVidia driver in console

Hello,
I recently got a Dell Inspiron Celeron 1.6 Laptop w/ an NVidia GForce2 (go). I'm running a standard Redhat 7.2 distribution w/ XFree86 4.1 . Ofcourse, the bundled nvidia driver didn't work, so I was using the bundled vesa driver until I got Nvidia's latest driver working fine with X, currently 1024x768 24 bit mode. The problem I have is that after closing down X, and going to the console (ie. during shutdown) the laptop display flickers real bad - like the Hsync Vsync is out of sync. If I startx again, say using the vesa driver, and shut down X, the console looks fine.

After running and shutting down X, how do I change the display parameters for console mode? I believe its using the default 80x25 display. I'm not sure what driver the system is using when it shuts down X, because `lsmod nvidia` lists the nvidia module as unused and I can do `rmmod nvidia`without problem at that point. Except that the console display is still hosed.

Any help would be very appreciated!

exodist 02-04-03 02:13 PM

framebuffer

you might try enabling framebuffer. I also have a laptop with a geforce card (gf2go) recompile your kernel with vesa framebuffer, 16buit framebuffer, and all the resolution modes. then in the liloconfig file set the display to a higher setting like 1024x768x32 then you get high res console and it *might* fix your problem, as for doing allt his I leave it to you to read the docs and figure it out, what would you lern if I stepped you through it?:POKE:

spurnelle 02-04-03 02:18 PM

Driver NVIDIA and console

I have the same and I posted the same question in this list. You can found my thread page 4 NVIDIA and console mode. Actulally, I don't found a answer.

anestler 02-04-03 04:41 PM

NVIDIA and console

Hi all,

Currently I had also the problem that after starting X there was no possibility to switch to a console. I have faced out that this seems to be a problem because I get always a message from the monitor that the frequencies HSync und VSync are out of limits.

Here is my configuration:

Computer DELL Dimension 4500
Linux Distribution: Debian Woody
Graphic card: GeForce4 MX 420

I downloaded the latest driver from the nvidia web site:

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.tar.gz
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.tar.gz

After installing (it requires the kernel-headers package) the X starts well but with the described problems to switch into console modus.

Later I remembered that I've got the stuff running under slackware. There I used an older version of the NVIDIA drivers. Fortunately I have made a backup. So I found the old drivers installed it and all works fine. Below you find the used driver version, which works fine in my configuration:

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz

Try to use not the latest version. This can help. Maybe someone can post this information direct to NVidia (?!)

Andreas

dbouras 02-05-03 06:57 AM

Re: framebuffer

Quote:

Originally posted by exodist
you might try enabling framebuffer. I also have a laptop with a geforce card (gf2go)

You neglected to tell us if you had the same problem, and if (& how) you solved it, wiseguy...

Quote:

set the display to a higher setting like 1024x768x32 then you get high res console and it *might* fix your problem

Nope, it didn't. The 1.0-4191 driver still messes up the display when exiting X.

Quote:

as for doing allt his I leave it to you to read the docs and figure it out, what would you lern if I stepped you through it?:POKE:
Save the patronizing for those that buy it.:argh: