nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   3DMark03 - damage control for the GeForce FX? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7231)

creedamd 02-06-03 04:03 PM

3dmark2k3 damage control for GFFX

Who wants to bet that the GFFX will kick the 9700 in the new 3dmark! This will be unbelievable if it does! Discuss!!!

Retrofire 02-06-03 04:25 PM

Hmmm...

I'm no engineer, but my thought is that the 128-bit memory bus will be as much a limiting factor in 3DMark2003 as it is in everything else.

The frustrating thing to me is that the GeForce FX is a technology spectacular hampered by comparatively poor memory bandwidth.

I have no doubt that in terms of raw processing power and capability, the GeForce FX will have no equal. At the same time, you can put a Ferrari engine in a Yugo and...Still have a Yugo. :(

ATi definately did an excellent job anticipating where the market was heading and putting a chip of less power out and designing a better method of feeding it.

Unfortunately GFX is trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose...And predictably looks like it will just end up sucking.

I'm still very anxious to see non-jaded real-world user reviews on the GFX though. :D

undercover 02-06-03 04:29 PM

Lets have a sweepstake :)

I pick the GFFX to beat the 9700 in 3dM2003 by 25% overall at 1280x1024

Nutty 02-06-03 05:21 PM

Rumours are the retail version of the card will be much quiter fan wise, and I bet the drivers improve considerably.

What the chances that nvidia unveil "free" AA with newer drivers on the hardware at some point?! Now that would be impressive. I still think GF-fx's AA quality is fine. The ppl slating it seem to have no understanding of equal comparisons, and seem to be completley blind to me.

sytaylor 02-06-03 05:22 PM

hmm i say 10% if its any more then theres serious foul play going on :eek2:

ASCI Blue 02-06-03 05:45 PM

25% might be right 3dmark was designed to make nv cards look good.

undercover 02-06-03 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ASCI Blue
25% might be right 3dmark was designed to make nv cards look good.
I'm sure Futuremark have no loyalties either way :)

gokickrocks 02-06-03 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty
Rumours are the retail version of the card will be much quiter fan wise, and I bet the drivers improve considerably.

What the chances that nvidia unveil "free" AA with newer drivers on the hardware at some point?! Now that would be impressive. I still think GF-fx's AA quality is fine. The ppl slating it seem to have no understanding of equal comparisons, and seem to be completley blind to me.

rumours of drivers improving is stating the obvious, all video cards have a chance to improve through drivers because they are never 100% efficient

chances of "free" AA - 0%

i would have to disagree on your last statement, but wont go off explaining why

undercover 02-06-03 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gokickrocks
rumours of drivers improving is stating the obvious, all video cards have a chance to improve through drivers because they are never 100% efficient

From what JC said in reply to Reverends questions it sounds like the GFFX has a very flexible architecture that requires carefull use by the drivers to make the most of it. Reading between the lines I'd say the GFFX has, by it's very nature, much more room for performance gain via the drivers. I guess the Nvidia engineers will be looking at each game and app and determine where the bottlenecks are and how the drivers can push the hardware harder...

Only time will tell :)

Smokey 02-06-03 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

Good to see someone with the same thinking as me. No one has said anything about Nvidias 4xs FSSA, and from what we have see so far, it looks better than 6x2 and 8xs, so thats obvious there are driver problems there.

I think the GF-FX will do well, but lets not forget, 3dmark will push todays cards, remember 3dmark2001 and the GF3/8500 and now look at it with the 9700/GF-FX. Still I cant wait to see what Im missing out on by not having a 9700 or GF-FX :(

Spliffstarr 02-06-03 10:44 PM

either ways considering that it will be out in the begining of next week we will not have to wait very much longer to see how the two chips will perform..

nagus 02-07-03 05:01 AM

what I've read was, that GF FX is actually significant SLOWER in 3dMark 2003 than radeon 9700pro...

... according to a german games-Magazin (GameStar)