nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nvidia : Full HD & Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72592)

ziteribo 06-28-06 09:57 AM

nvidia : Full HD & Linux

Hello,

I would want to make a Linux Box with a nvidia graphic Card to decode HD stream ( 1920*1080 ) : Full HD 1080p. Which card could I use ( I would want to use a 7600 Gt because it can be run with a heatpipe/fanless) ? What is Xvmc ? Can I use it with VLC (videolan) ? ( I saw that I have to compile mplayer with xvmc flag to activate it)

Thank you for your answer,

Best Regards,

William DUCK

LubosD 06-28-06 01:48 PM

Re: nvidia : Full HD & Linux

XVMC states for XVideo Motion Compensation and is used for playback of MPEG-2 video (and maybe other?) using HW decompression.

I can't see xvmc among VLC's USE flags and it really doesn't seem to support it.

pyite 06-28-06 03:22 PM

You don' t need a ridiculous video card to do video. The hot card actually seems to be the FX5200 - apparently XvMC support is best on that one. They are also cheap and available in PCI Express. However, you probably will only want XvMC if you use an interlaced resolution on your TV.

My TV is 1280x720 and I deinterlace 1080i content to display at that resolution. I have had identical success with a 6600GT, 6800, 6150/6100, and 5200... just make sure you have a fast enough CPU - I recommend an x2 3800. Also, XVideo support (aka xv) can be flaky at some resolutions, so be careful. The latest nvidia drivers seem to do OK though.

Good luck

pe1chl 06-28-06 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyite
The hot card actually seems to be the FX5200

My experience, and I have read other posts about this as well, is that the FX5200 cannot display movies at the full 1920x1080 resolution requested.
A strange effect looking like loss of horizontal sync (not unlike some old analog video encryption systems) occurs. It disappears as soon as the video is shown in a slightly smaller window.

mythtv_buster 08-01-06 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pe1chl
My experience, and I have read other posts about this as well, is that the FX5200 cannot display movies at the full 1920x1080 resolution requested.
A strange effect looking like loss of horizontal sync (not unlike some old analog video encryption systems) occurs. It disappears as soon as the video is shown in a slightly smaller window.

Sounds like my problem. 3% horizontal underscan seems to fix it. Do you know if higher end cards still exhibit this problem or is this limited to the fX5200?

pe1chl 08-01-06 02:15 AM

I replaced it with a 6600GT and the problem is gone. Together with the DVI clock limitation of 135MHz that caused trouble on my other screen.

However, it uses a lot more power and has a noisy but ineffective fan. I would not consider it the optimal card for displaying HD video.
(I was limited in selection because I needed an AGP card and had to order it via a specific shop)