nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Segmentation fault loading libGL.so.1 on NVIDIA drivers newer than 7676 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73246)

mojinoman 07-11-06 04:10 AM

Segmentation fault loading libGL.so.1 on NVIDIA drivers newer than 7676

I'm using a Debian AMD64 box, kernel 2.6.15.4, with a 32 bit chroot environment so I can run some games like Enemy Territory or Wolfenstein. It works well if I use driver version 7676 (with 32 bit compat libraries installed). But if I try to update to a newer version (such as the latest one, 8762), those games no longer work. I get a segmentation fault loading libGL.so.1 when loading the games. And I don't know why it works with 7676, and it doesn't with newer versions.

My card is a NVIDIA FX 5200, and my X-Window system works perfectly. In fact, if I run any 64-bit game (like 64-bit version of Quake 3 or TuxRacer), they also work. It only fails with 32-bit games. Is there a problem with 32-bit libraries?

By the way, I don't know if it has something to do with it or not, but all the NVIDIA installers I've used so far (including 7676) give me the following error:

-> Running runtime sanity check:
ERROR: The runtime configuration check failed for library 'libGL.so.1.0.7676'
(expected: '/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.1', found: '(not found)').
The most likely reason for this is that conflicting OpenGL libraries are
installed in a location not inspected by `nvidia-installer`. Please be
sure you have uninstalled any third-party OpenGL and third-party
graphics driver packages.

Thanks in advance.

Marc Coll

zander 07-11-06 05:38 AM

Re: Segmentation fault loading libGL.so.1 on NVIDIA drivers newer than 7676

What's the chroot's top-level directory and how did you install the driver (did you use any command line options?)? Please attach the complete /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file.

mojinoman 07-11-06 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The top-level dir of the chroot is /var/chroot/ia32, but I have a symbolic link on /emul/linux-ia32 pointing to /var/chroot/ia32. Anyway, I've tried with the --expert option, specifying /var/chroot/ia32, with the same result. I install the driver by running the installer, with no options at all (except for the time I tried in expert mode).

The complete nvidia-installer.log file is attached.

mojinoman 07-11-06 09:50 AM

By the way, I'm not sure if this can be useful, but this is the error I get when I try to run Enemy Territory:

----------------------
5124 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

------- Input Initialization -------
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
...loading libGL.so.1: Segmentation fault

zander 07-11-06 10:16 AM

I guess the problem is that you're installing the 32-bit libraries to a location that's not considered by the dynamic linker, which throws off the runtime sanity check. Have you tried installing the driver without the 32-bit libraries, extracting the .run package and manually installing the 32-bit libraries to the chroot environment (i.e. /var/chroot/ia32/usr/lib and /var/chroot/ia32/usr/lib/tls)?

mojinoman 07-11-06 01:47 PM

Yes, I tried installing the 32-bit libraries manually, with no success. And my /etc/ld.so.conf has all the paths to the chroot libraries:

/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib

# chroot
/var/chroot/ia32/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/X11R6/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/local/lib

But I don't think that's the problem, because with 7676 it works. I try first installing with the 32-bit compatibility libraries, then it fails (but copies the libraries), and then I try again without installing the 32-bit libraries, and it works (since the libraries were actually copied before). With newer installers, installation doesn't fail anymore, it just says that sanity check failed, but the installer will assume that the libraries were correctly installed.

mojinoman 07-18-06 03:46 PM

Yes, I tried installing the 32-bit libraries manually, with no success. And my /etc/ld.so.conf has all the paths to the chroot libraries:

/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib

# chroot
/var/chroot/ia32/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/X11R6/lib
/var/chroot/ia32/usr/local/lib

But I don't think that's the problem, because with 7676 it works. I try first installing with the 32-bit compatibility libraries, then it fails (but copies the libraries), and then I try again without installing the 32-bit libraries, and it works (since the libraries were actually copied before). With newer installers, installation doesn't fail anymore, it just says that sanity check failed, but the installer will assume that the libraries were correctly installed.