nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What card works on RH 7.3 w/ MINIMAL effort? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=734)

j_g 08-14-02 08:26 PM

What card works on RH 7.3 w/ MINIMAL effort?

I am not knowledgeable re: graphics cards and am looking for a decent card which will work on RedHat 7.3 right out of the box.
Nvidia seems to be a company which supports the Linux community in terms of drivers but judging from all the problems faced by members of this forum, things have only become more complicated/worse than when I installed Slackware 3.5 with an S3 Virge card years ago...with absolutely no problems. I currently have an ATI Radeon in this PC and it is giving nothing but grief with RH 7.3.

Just tell me which Nvidia card for < $100 will work for me without headache and I will buy it!

Rob C. 08-14-02 11:46 PM

ALL nVidia Cards work natively in linux. However what you are seeing in this forum is people trying to install 3d enabled drivers. It really isn't a difficult task but it requires some research and general knowledge of linux. The best thing would be for you to pick a card you think has some value and then come here and search the forums for card specific topics and if by the rare chance you don't find anything then start your own thread for your card. You are however always welcome to ask for help. Just make sure you search the forums before asking someone something they have answered 100 times. That welcomes rude comments and makes people less likely to help :(

Good Luck!

Anthaus 08-15-02 10:22 AM

I've got the perfect card for you.
Works out-of-the-box and has good 3D acceleration. Fully compatible with RH 7.3 and tested with Quake 3.

Voodoo 5 5500.

That's no joke. I just installed RH 7.3 in my old rig and it worked perfect right after installation.

Anthaus 08-15-02 10:26 AM

All nVidia cards are more or less the same in terms of installation. They all need nVidia's files. And since RH 7.3 has a buggy kernel (2.4.18-3) you have to upgrade it right after the installation to the latest (2.4.18-5). In that case you HAVE TO use the tarballs. And in order to use them you need the kernel-source and the make libraries.

There's no way around this.

C'mon, take out that voodoo card out of its box and give it a shot. :)

Rob C. 08-15-02 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anthaus
All nVidia cards are more or less the same in terms of installation. They all need nVidia's files. And since RH 7.3 has a buggy kernel (2.4.18-3) you have to upgrade it right after the installation to the latest (2.4.18-5). In that case you HAVE TO use the tarballs. And in order to use them you need the kernel-source and the make libraries.

There's no way around this.

C'mon, take out that voodoo card out of its box and give it a shot. :)

That is simply not true. You do not have to rebuild your kernel and you most definately don't have to use the tarballs.

From a default install of RH7.3 if you follow my instructions you are able to properly setup ANY nVidia card with acceleration via the RPM's nad no not the source RPM's!

nVidia RPM FAQ

Anthaus 08-15-02 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rob C.

That is simply not true. You do not have to rebuild your kernel and you most definately don't have to use the tarballs.

From a default install of RH7.3 if you follow my instructions you are able to properly setup ANY nVidia card with acceleration via the RPM's nad no not the source RPM's!

nVidia RPM FAQ

There's no absolute necessity to upgrade the kernel. But Red Hat recommends it.
IF and ONLY IF you do, you will have to use the tarballs. I always use the tarballs, anyway.
j_g asked for the easiest card to run under linux and my pick is the Voodoo 5 5500 since all you have to do to make it work is to install RH 7.3

Hey Rob, we all share our experience here for free. We always try to be honest and to help other people. So let's just try to play nice, ok?

Thunderbird 08-15-02 12:34 PM

Don't use 3dfx hardware anymore. I thought the second chip on the voodoo5 isn't used on linux (yet). A card that will work without any problems is a simple Ati Radeon based card. No need to setup 3d since 3d stuff is included but when you want better drivers you need to compile stuff.

Anthaus 08-15-02 12:46 PM

Re: What card works on RH 7.3 w/ MINIMAL effort?

Quote:

Originally posted by j_g
I currently have an ATI Radeon in this PC and it is giving nothing but grief with RH 7.3.

I agree there's no use in buying a voodoo card these days. If he has it, the effort to make it work will be minimal and the cost zero.

j_g, please tell us how it all turned out. Maybe all you need is a quick guide on how to fine tune your Raddy. ;)

r0gu3 08-15-02 03:53 PM

I would second any of the voodoo cards (actually the voodoo1's and 2's are a little messy to setup, but better than nvidia's) but as far as the voodoo's 3/4/5's they are perform pretty well(in 16bit color) and have automatic setup :)

- r0gu3

j_g 08-15-02 06:55 PM

Thanks for your replies.
I have gotten the Radeon card to work in non-accelerated mode, but the refresh rate is horrendous...I can see windows redrawn in chunks as I move them. It seems nobody knows how to setup that Radeon card as it is not one of their popular cards (32MB PCI); RHat doesn't even want any part of supporting it and I've tried every trick documented by XF86.

Looks like I will give the Voodoo3 a shot...seems it would work well for me and is dirt cheap. If it doesn't, then I am only out $20.

Thunderbird 08-16-02 03:53 AM

Look at dri.sourceforge.net for docs on DRI. 3D is set up for radeons when you setup it for xfree86 most of the time. Try "glxinfo" if it mentions DRI it is good.

It is useless to switch to a voodoo3 now. Voodoo3 cards use DRI too so setting up one is the same. (except the driver name is different tdfx instead of radeon)