nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How high of an overclock can I expect out of a GeForce4 Ti 4200? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=735)

Danno 08-14-02 08:27 PM

How high of an overclock to expect out of a G4-TI4200?

Hey all,
I've never overclocked a Vid-card before, so I don't know what kind of extra performance to expect. What do you think I'll get out my 128MB G4-TI 4200? core clock at 250 mhz/mem at 445mhz Also, is the stock cooler gonna hold up for me? It's one of those big ones that covers the RAM chips too.
Thanks!:)

saturnotaku 08-14-02 09:58 PM

If you have the ACS2 cooling system (which based on your description it sounds like you do) you won't be able to get much of an overclock out of it. I had an eVGA Ti4400 with ACS2 and I could barely achieve a 5% OC with that system. Using a PNY Ti4400 with the reference cooler, I was able to get that card up to Ti4600 levels and beyond.

DaveW 08-14-02 10:25 PM

I have a ti4200, stock heatsink on the GPU, and no heatsinks on the ram at all. Its the 128 meg model (250/444).

I can get it to 280/500 easily. If I switch on the extra 125V fan at the front of my case I can get it to 295/560 - even though the Samsung ram isn't rated above 500.

Danno, providing your case is fairly well cooled, I would be suprised if you don't get atleast 275/500 out of it.

TheOneKEA 08-15-02 07:17 AM

Can you get close to 300/600? Or would you need the 64MB model to do that?

Danno 08-15-02 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply fella's!
I guess the only good way to tell what it will do, is to just get in there and crank it up. I've got pretty good case cooling, so that should not be a concern. What's the best way to see if your card is stable at OC'd speeds? Should I just run 3DMark2001SE and see if it tears or locks up?

Is there anybody out there other than saturnotaku with an EVGA G4 that could let me know how theirs does?

--D-- 08-16-02 09:44 AM

Aritfact Tester

Do a search on google.com for artifact tester. It will tell you if you are getting video artifacts from overclocking too high.

DaveW 08-16-02 11:31 PM

I wouldn't bother with artifact tester. Artifacts only tell you if your memory is clocked to high (not the GPU), and the test patterns used by artifact tester aren't large enough to test your whole video ram, only a few K of it.

I had several games display artifacts when artifact tester found none.

Here is what I test with:

GPU : The nVIDIA Wolfman Demo - Its the most likely program I have to overheat the GPU and cause a system hang. I know that if Wolfman runs for a few minutes, that my GPU can handle anything at the speed I have it at.

RAM : Return to Castle Wolfenstein - I saw artifacts in this when my memory was too high, even though other games were ok. Put the texture detail to max, 32 bit, UNCOMPRESSED, detail textures with high res and FSAA. This should stress test the majority of your video ram, even if you have 128 meg of it. If you see no artifacts then your RAM can handle the speed you have it at.