nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can't switch from xserver console vt7 to any text console (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73756)

jcat 07-21-06 10:17 AM

Can't switch from xserver console vt7 to any text console

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I have searched the forum and I can't seem to find an answer.

Before I start an xserver I can switch between any of the text consoles no problem, vt1, vt2, vt3 etc.. ...but once I start an xserver on say vt7 I can't then switch back to a text console like vt2 or whatever.

I'm using Gentoo and XGL, but I think it's possibly an nvidia driver problem because I had the same problem using FC4/5 and standard X.

I'm using 1.0.8762 drivers and a 6600

Any help or info is gratefully received! :)

Cheers,

jcat

rbachl 07-21-06 02:53 PM

Re: Can't switch from xserver console vt7 to any text console

I am having the same problem with the same drivers under Gentoo, but I am using a GE6150 based graphics. The problem was discussed a few days ago on this forum in the thread "Ge6150: Switching back to console fails". While I thought initially that I have made something wrong with the configuration, I believe now that this is a driver problem. I have exhausted virtually every possibility for changing the configuration in grub.conf and xorg.conf, but the problem remains unsolved and nobody was able to come up with a solution so far. It seems I need to buy a new graphics card, but I just do not know which one is working well.....

It may be acceptable temporarily not to use the console until the driver is fixed, but I do not know when this is going to happen, if ever. It is a serious problem though that I cannot see any messages on shutdown.

pe1chl 07-21-06 03:29 PM

There could be a real problem, but it could also be that you use Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F7 and then expect to go back to 1 by using Alt-F1.
However, to go from X to a Text screen you must use Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc.

jcat 07-22-06 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pe1chl
There could be a real problem, but it could also be that you use Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F7 and then expect to go back to 1 by using Alt-F1.
However, to go from X to a Text screen you must use Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc.

Yes, unfortunately that's what I'd doing. It just don't work!

Anyone else have any more intput here? Any work arounds?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

jcat

AaronP 07-22-06 12:30 PM

@jcat: I've heard about this problem being caused by a change in X.org 7.0's keyboard handling, but I don't know the details. The section entitled "XKB doesn't work, I can't switch VTs, etc" in http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/deskto...ar-x-howto.xml might help. If all else fails, you can use the "chvt" command to switch to a console.

rbachl 07-26-06 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP
@jcat: I've heard about this problem being caused by a change in X.org 7.0's keyboard handling, but I don't know the details. The section entitled "XKB doesn't work, I can't switch VTs, etc" in http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/deskto...ar-x-howto.xml might help. If all else fails, you can use the "chvt" command to switch to a console.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, in my case it seems the driver does not switch from X display to any terminal, neither with CTRL-ALT-Fn nor with chvt. I am using X.org version 7.0.

AaronP 07-26-06 03:21 PM

Okay, if not even chvt works, then it's definitely some other problem. Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log. After running chvt, does X freeze, or does it continue to function normally?

kontagion 07-29-06 01:14 PM

Same problem here... After upgrading to kernel 2.6.16 on Debian Ctrl+Alt+Fn started crashing kdm with:
Quote:

kdm[5311] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
I get a moments black screen in an attempt to switch modes followed by an X server reset (as if I had pressed Ctrl+Alt+Bksp). Doesn't matter if I'm logged on to X or not (meaning it holds true for the log on screen). Strangely it will go to a text terminal if Alt+N (Terminal login) is specified at log on.

I was using the same driver version prior to the kernel upgrade, there was no problem then.

My kernel is Debian's stock kernel 2.6.16-2-686-smp
Current nVidia driver: 1.0.8762
Graphics Card: Asus Extreme N6600 Silencer

AaronP 07-29-06 01:31 PM

I think people are describing at least three different bugs in this thread:

@jcat: Ctrl-Alt-F1 does nothing, X continues to work. (Right?)
@rbachl: Ctrl-Alt-F1 works but the console is garbled.
@kontagion: Ctrl-Alt-F1 works but the X server crashes.

It would be useful if these were separate threads to keep the details straight.

Amaranth 07-29-06 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me I can hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 but I get a blank screen, hitting Alt-F7 takes me back to X just fine. I know the tty is really there because I can restart and such from it. I'm attaching my nvidia-bug-report.log. I know I'm using an unstable version of a distro and Xorg 7.1 but the problem was the exact same on Xorg 7.0 running Ubuntu 6.06.