nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   X11R7.1 about to enter FC5-updates. Driver support? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73953)

gilboa 07-25-06 05:44 AM

X11R7.1 about to enter FC5-updates. Driver support?

Discussion here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00676.html

netllama 07-25-06 11:39 AM

Re: X11R7.1 about to enter FC5-updates. Driver support?

That thread didn't provide an impression that an Xorg-7.1 update was imminent in FC5, but rather planned for some undefined future date.

The next released nvidia driver will support Xorg-7.1.

Thanks,
Lonni

gilboa 07-25-06 12:00 PM

Lonni,

If you read down the thread you'll notice that Mike A. Harris, plans to push the update ASAP.

Quote:

I kindof feel like staying up all night tonight now, and releasing 7.1
for FC5 on Wednesday.
Anyways, 7.1 should spend a ~1 week in updates-testing before being pushed down into -updates - this should give you some breathing space before this forum goes into flames... would it be enough?

netllama 07-25-06 12:12 PM

Sorry, I missed that there was further discussion in the thread about the release schedule. I'm afraid that I can't comment on the NVIDIA driver schedule, however I can say that it doesn't directly align with any specific distribution's release plans.

Thanks,
Lonni

pdesalvia@ic 07-25-06 04:41 PM

See my thread "Yet another Fedora 5 how to".

gilboa 07-25-06 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Sorry, I missed that there was further discussion in the thread about the release schedule. I'm afraid that I can't comment on the NVIDIA driver schedule, however I can say that it doesn't directly align with any specific distribution's release plans.

Thanks,
Lonni

I understand.
As I commented in the actual ML thread, Fedora releases must not be forced to align itself with nVidia's schedule. The reverse is also true for nVidia. (Read: nVidia should not be accountable for Fedora's release schedule)

Having said all that, the 7.1's release was immanent when 87.62 was released; It would have been wise to consider delaying the 87.62 release, and make it 7.1 compatible.

As for the release schedule, I doubt that this is a nVidia vs. Fedora issue. I'd venture to guess that other major distribution will soon follow Fedora's footsteps and switch to 7.1 breaking world + dog.

gilboa 07-25-06 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdesalvia@ic
See my thread "Yet another Fedora 5 how to".

pdesalvia,

Your HOWTO solves a different problem (modular X.org sitting in /usr instead of monolitic X.org sitting in /usr/X11R6). The nVidia driver is incompatible with X.org R7.1 that is about to be released, as an update, to Fedora Core 5 (and others). While there's a work-around to make things (semi) work (--ignore-abi), it's less then a satisfying solution.

Cheers,

Dragoran 07-26-06 02:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Lonni

it should not follow distribution's release plans but the release plans of the software they are supporting (X and the Linux kernel)

elanthis 07-26-06 09:55 PM

OK, so assuming it follows the release plan of X and the kernel, NVIDIA is even more behind. ;-) X.org 7.1 has been out for a little while now.

Also, Ubuntu Edgy just pushed X.org 7.1. It's still only half in (all the Open Source driver packages aren't updated yet either, for example, so you get fun ABI mismatches even without the proprietary drivers right now) but I expect it to be fully in place within a day or so.

It's definitely getting to be that time where the NVIDIA driver release would be useful. ;-)

(For the record, I'm running the proprietary drivers on X.org 7.1 eith the -IgnoreABI switch with no problems at all right now. Still not nifty GL compositing, of course.)

Dragoran 07-27-06 06:51 AM

Quote:

OK, so assuming it follows the release plan of X and the kernel, NVIDIA is even more behind. ;-) X.org 7.1 has been out for a little while now.
thats what I wanted to say ;)

Paul_Vandenberg 08-14-06 07:28 PM

If the new Nvidia drivers aren't out by the time FC5 updates to Xorg 7.1, then I will just hold off on upgrading Xorg until the Nvidia drivers are out. I am in no hurry. I just hope they are released by the time FC6 is out in October.

mintSlice 08-14-06 08:09 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid that I can't comment on the NVIDIA driver schedule, however I can say that it doesn't directly align with any specific distribution's release plans.

While I understand this approach, in this case I think NVIDIA needs to get is bum into gear and get out a driver that works with xorg-7.1

As I understand it, the changes that have been introduced into xorg-7.1 where proposed by NVIDIA. As such, I think NVIDIA has (had) a duty of care to it's users to make sure that it's driver was ready when xorg-7.1 was released.

This isn't a case of the xorg developers just breaking compatibilitiy with NVIDIA's proprietary drivers, it's a direct result of NVIDIA's input into the development of xorg, and as such NVIDIA (having requested the inclusion of certain changes to xorg) should be ready to support them at the time of release.

In my opinion, NVIDIA has dropped the ball. Sadly, while Microsoft's VISTA is still in beta, NVIDIA has already released beta drivers for testing. Yet, in the case of xorg-7.1, where NVIDIA was directly involved in changes they knew would break their driver's support for X, xorg-7.1 has been out for some time now and NVIDIA drivers still do not work.

This isn't about any ditributions release schedule, it's far simpler than that. It's about backing NVIDIA's own input into a product, in this case xorg.

Not good enough NVIDIA!