nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vertical green lines when playing DVDs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74389)

cbraxton 08-02-06 11:23 AM

Vertical green lines when playing DVDs

I recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 on an old Athlon 1GHz system which has an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX-200 AGP card. The Nvidia binary drivers have been installed using Ubuntu's "Synaptic" package manager, and xorg.conf edited to use the "nvidia" driver.

Initially there was a problem with short, black vertical lines following the cursor around on some parts of the screen. This was fixed by turning off the hardware cursor in xorg.conf.

Now the card works fine aside from one annoying problem -- when playing DVDs, noisy, shifting, green vertical lines appear within the DVD display window. (They are also present if the DVD is played in full-screen mode.) This occurs in Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer.

Is there an xorg.conf option that can be set to eliminate or reduce this problem? (I realize this is an old, low-performance card but I'm not a gamer and it otherwise is working great for everything I'm doing.)

netllama 08-02-06 11:36 AM

Re: Vertical green lines when playing DVDs

Can you capture this problem in a screenshot?

Additionally, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log while the problem is present.

Thanks,
Lonni

cbraxton 08-02-06 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Can you capture this problem in a screenshot?

Additionally, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log while the problem is present.

Thanks,
Lonni

Thanks for the reply. I tried using a sceen capture program to get an image, but the DVD player screen just comes up blank with a blue background. (Some kind of copy protection?) So I managed to get a snapshot using Xine's built in capture function -- but that captured image does not display the symptoms.

Another strange thing, while moving stuff around on the screen I accidentally started a second copy of xine -- and this second copy plays normally, while the first copy is still displaying the dancing green lines on the program's startup screen. Then, if you exit the first instance of Xine, the second continues to play normally. Bizarre.

Since the screen shot does not show anything useful it is not attached here, but I did attach a zipped copy of the log file. Since the captured image looks OK I'm wondering if this is some kind of hardware problem in getting the card's output correctly to the screen rather than a driver problem.

netllama 08-02-06 07:32 PM

The most likely reason why a 2nd instance of xine plays normally is because its falling back to software rendering, since you are already using xv on the first output.

You say that you've seen this problem with mplayer as well? I'd like to see mplayer's output when you're running it and this problem is present.

Also, is this problem only present when playing DVDs, or playing any content with mplayer, xine, etc?

Thanks,
Lonni

cbraxton 08-02-06 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

You say that you've seen this problem with mplayer as well? I'd like to see mplayer's output when you're running it and this problem is present.

Also, is this problem only present when playing DVDs, or playing any content with mplayer, xine, etc?

The problem also occurs with Totem, so it seems universal on all the video players I've tried thus far. The problem does occur when playing video streams over the internet as well as DVDs locally.

I've attached logging output from mplayer. The file "mplayer1.log" was generated while the problem is present. The file "mplayer2.log" is the result of running mplayer while an instance of Xine is running in the background, and mplayer's display looks normal.

netllama 08-02-06 09:33 PM

In mplayer2.log, I see:
Xv: could not grab port 126

So you're falling back to software (x11) rendering.

If you run mplayer with the "-vo gl" option, does the corruption persist?

Thanks,
Lonni

cbraxton 08-02-06 10:10 PM

Quote:

In mplayer2.log, I see:
Xv: could not grab port 126

So you're falling back to software (x11) rendering.

If you run mplayer with the "-vo gl" option, does the corruption persist?

Thanks,
Lonni

OK, at least that makes some kind of sense now (as to why things appear to work with an extra Xine instance). Thanks for the explanation!

The mplayer display looks good when using the "-vo gl" option.