nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I have a dream... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74657)

Tonyt1234563 08-07-06 11:50 AM

I have a dream...

... It is to find a working xorg.conf file

Would this be great:

A graphical utility that allows you to configure your nvidia (pirate) video card settings in xorg with full support for HD, multiple output, etc. Include the NVIDIA utility that allows you to resize your screen to fit the picture exactly on your TV with the large arrows. This exists and works great for windows, just because I want to use linux doesn't mean I don't want those tools.

My problem is that there are so many xorg.conf options I feel like a full time tester learning way more than I ever planned to learn about video cards. After all I'm trying to enable a STANDARD HD setup without overscan and working video. Not that I mind knowledge, but it is a hell of a hoop to require people to jump through.

netllama 08-07-06 12:07 PM

Re: I have a dream...

The first 1.0-9xxx series driver will include most of this functionality in nvidia-settings.

Thanks,
Lonni

LubosD 08-07-06 01:25 PM

Wunderbar, but when it'll be out? :D

Thunderbird 08-07-06 03:57 PM

It might be soon, a week ago OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.2 came which I guess they want to support ;)

kenyee 08-07-06 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
The first 1.0-9xxx series driver will include most of this functionality in nvidia-settings.

Lonni:
You'll get a lot of HTPC owners offering to buy you lunch if user-friendly screen resizing is there finally and XvMC works so we can accelerate 720p/1080i playback on 6150 systems (I don't expect miracles like 1080p playback on it ;-)

Tonyt1234563 08-08-06 07:11 PM

Yippee, sounds good I can't wait for the 9xxx! Literally I can't wait, I don't know what to do in the mean time. (nana2)

chrismortimore 08-16-06 06:07 AM

The big thing I want is better XvMC. I read the spec sheets of my two nvidia graphics cards, and they go on about all this fancy MPEG-2 decoding hardware they have and wonderful quality, and when I try XvMC just now it looks lousey. Luckily the CPUs are big enough to easily handle decent realtime deinterlacing ;)

TPG 08-16-06 06:36 AM

I want stable FPS on ET, that is my only wish :P

pe1chl 08-16-06 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismortimore
The big thing I want is better XvMC. when I try XvMC just now it looks lousey.

I agree with you!
Now my HD playback problem has been fixed (it was caused by the IDE controller and video card sharing the same interrupt, and now I have a separate machine with the disks and NFS-mounted them it works again).
But the quality still is bad, compared to playing with mplayer software decoding and filtering.

How nice it would be to have PureVideo!

ZeroKun 08-16-06 01:25 PM

Someday...Theater mode.

.:Ratmann:. 08-16-06 05:24 PM

My only wish is a fast subpixel AA and working FlatPanel scaling.